SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - "pleaes remove all ity.im ads from your website" popup box?

(36 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by liz2sweet
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 7963 times

marcelbrown

FYI, it appears this infection is an MBR rootkit, Rootkit.Boot.SST.b, also possibly known as Trojan.MBR.Alureon!IK. The apparent cure requires booting the machine from an external boot CD or USB drive (or pulling the drive out of the machine and connecting it to another machine) and running TDSSKiller or Hitman Pro (or perhaps another utility that can be run from an external drive). I will detail this on the earlier referenced blog link. Hopefully this information will be helpful to the person working with the OP. Good luck!

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

This thread is very interesting.

Please keep us informed - especially as to the final solution.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

If its related to Alureon then the MRT program should be able to remove it.

Posted 1 year ago

LoganX

Try Kaspersky AV. I don't normally recommend specific programs, and I usually stick to free ones. However when I got this virus (or whatever it is) recently none of the usual free stuff could find it. My nephew recommended Kaspersky so I gave in and got it. It ran, found an issue that was running at the moment, stopped it, rebooted and it hasn't popped up since. It's been 3 days now with no problems after several restarts (which is when it always hit me before). Maybe other paid antivirus work as well, I just know that this one worked for me.

Also check your IE history. I don't use IE, but when I checked the history it had a lot of sites that I had never visited. I added them all to my block list.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

See here,
http://www.kaspersky.com/virus-scanner

Posted 1 year ago

callumo

Hi all, I found a fix to this, still unsure as to what exactly it was that is causing this, but I was suggested by someone to try Hitman Pro, so I downloaded it, you get a 30 day free trial with it, after a 3 minute scan it found the problem, restarted my computer and it was gone. No more "pleaes remove all ity.im ads from your website" pop ups, and my computer seems some what fast again!

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

callumo, did Hitman provided any specific details on the "problem" it found? Kindly post if there's any.

Posted 1 year ago

geoffn

I also used the free version of hitman pro.Revealed no problems at all.
Have rebooted twice since yesterday and so far the problem with this pop up malware seems to have disappeared.Can only assume that by running hitman pro,somehow it has done the trick.
Fingers crossed that's the end of it.

Posted 1 year ago

callumo

G41M, I will check now to see if Hitman Pro left any logs for me and will get back to you. That's good to hear geoff, it was suggested to me by someone who also had the same problem, it worked for them too.

Posted 1 year ago

callumo

Posted 1 year ago

callumo

There is a screenshot of what seemed to be causing the problem, hope it helps. Also sorry about the size of the image.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

callumo, thanks for all the info

Posted 1 year ago

2013lotech

hey guys - just joined to say I was following this thread for the same problem.

Ran the free hitmanpro 64 - and now my computer won't boot.

turns out the hitman pro has a history of corrupting the OS.

I am not at all technically inclined - lost in the woods at this point....
not sure yet how to fix it....

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

2013lotech hi. Please can you start a New Topic if you want help.

Posted 1 year ago

mipo

Hi, i just wanted to say that i had the same experience with 2013lotech...
and now my pc doesn't even boot so started a new topic. If anyone knows solution, your comment will be appreciated !
Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

mipo, please start a new topic for your problem

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!