The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Playing Legacy Software on Vista

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by JLW
  • Latest reply from rbailin
  • Topic Viewed 2914 times

JLW

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite and it runs Vista.
My problem is I have a CD-Rom which is Legacy software and it won't play on the new computor. It works fine on my old computer, but that computer goes in and out. When I checked it on my old computer, it said it was running a MIDI device Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.

When I put in the CD the error message I get says "Macromedia Projector has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close th program and notify you if a solution is available." However nothing has come through in two days.

Can someone provide me a way to play the software on my new Toshiba?

Posted 6 years ago

rbailin

If you Google: vista "Macromedia Projector has stopped working"
you get 14 articles with pretty much the same advice as this one:

Xtractor software doesn’t open in Windows Vista?

Gigajam relies on Adobe/Macromedia Director technology, which has compatibility issues with Windows Vista. When you run Gigajam Xtractor 3.8 on Windows Vista, you will see a message that informs you Macromedia Projector has stopped working, and Xtractor will not run.

To solve this, you can run Gigajam in compatibility mode:

1. Click the Start button

2. Select My Computer from the menu to see your computer's disk drives

3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Gigajam\Xtractor (or wherever you have it installed)

4. Right-click the Xtractor application icon and select Properties from the context menu

5. In the dialog that appears, choose the Compatibility tab, switch on Run this program in compatibility mode for: checkbox and select Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) from the drop-down list

6. Click OK

Now run Gigajam Xtractor as normal either from its icon in the Start menu, or by clicking on the Gigajam G next to your exercises in your lessons. You only need to go through the above procedure the first time you run Gigajam Xtractor - thereafter you can simply run the program each time from its icon in the Start menu.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!