SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Pirate Geek?!? Is this a warez site now?

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2201 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Bob,

Thanks for backing up my post.
Wasn't defending the lifestyle, just saying "the time period between 1500 and 1700 is not really chronicled well in most western history books".
Like yourself, I like to be educated and informed in all subjects.
One is never too old to learn !!!!
HTG is a great source to learn much about a lot things.
If The Geek hadn't changed the Logo, this conversation would have never come up.
Think about this thread from that view point.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Interseting viewpoint on the virtues of this thread, Rick. I agree.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I think those pirates had a great system -> kill the leader when you don't make money. I wish we had this kind of democracy today. That would sort out the dummies very quickly.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

It would certainly eliminate outrageous pay scales for CEO's whose company goes bust . . . Enron and Worldcom come to mind (of course, those guys went to jail, which is almost as good as walking the plank). But in the financial sector, all those companies that made nonsense risks on that subprime crap . . . those CEOs would end up being beheaded instead of walking away with their golden parachutes while the stock holder is left holding the loss. Hey, Rick, whs found a plus to the pirate lifestyle!!

Though I would disagree with whs calling those guys "dummies". With the exception of the guys that got caught (they ARE dummies), the vast majority of them are seasoned scammers that manipulate the financial system.

So the pirate system is most efficient. No money, no reward . . . period!!!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

The dummies referred to the political scene - and I don't want to mention names. There would be no end to it, because new ones come up every day.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Yes, whs, for some reason the feeling of "power" a politician has makes them do stupid things. I won't mention any names either, but the former governor of New York is a good example.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

And that governor was a good man. I think he should have stayed. What's wrong with having some fun. I think in Europe, people would have been much more relaxed about that.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Yes, but he knew he was functioning in a "prudish" society compared to Europe's societies, so it was, whether anyone's opinion was that he was a good man or not . . . stupid. I can't think of anything off hand, but it would be like a politician in Europe doing something that is frowned on in Europe and is OK in the U.S. "Don't sh** where you eat" I think is the cliche.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Yes, you are right. It was poor judgement under the circumstances. And it does not look like the US is going to overcome this prudish attitude. Just look at some of the most recent candidates - and their relativly high approval rate. From my vantage point, it looks like 19th century - or before that.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

19th Century EUROPE I presume you mean. Because in the 19th Century US . . . attitudes were much less "prudish" than they are now. For example, in the US Civil War, hookers followed along with the camps and were considered as "normal" and essential. And while the religious right has always been against that kind of stuff, it wasn't until several decades after the Civil War that this view became widespread and part of the society.

I'm not familiar with that sort of history in Europe, and maybe my presumption that you meant 19th Century Europe is incorrect, but I do know (well . . . I guess it's an opinion more than a fact) that the 19 Century US didn't have the viewpoint toward sex outside of marriage that it has now. Again, there were factions in that time that viewed it as wrong, but I don't think it permeated US Society 'till the 20th Century.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Right, I did mean 19th century Europe. I guess the 2 continents have developed in opposite directions. That is interesting. Maybe because we sent all the bible hardy folk to you. I do not defend the one or the other view. And I was not part of the flower power - was already too old for that then. But what I really hate in some people is the hypocrisy with which they want to tell others what to do. Teach water and drink wine.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

This cliche probably applies: "Do as I say, not as I do?

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Boy . . . we've really morphed this topic.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Right - but interesting. We cannot only twist the bits all day long.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.