SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Pirate Geek?!? Is this a warez site now?

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2201 times

ScottW
ScottW

Hey, what's with the pirate Geek theme. I think that it sends the wrong message. Can I be excluded from the label of Yarr Pirate Geeks?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

what you don't want to be a pirate???? why wouldn't you want to sail all of the sea's arrr....

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oh, good grief! Talk Like A Pirate Day? In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes and every day on the calendar will be assigned a holiday no matter how lame it is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Day

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

sweet this is going to be the best day ever woot :D

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

I love this day :D

I can;t believe you lot didn;t know!

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Either my remembrance of significant holidays is gone, or else I'm just not tuned in to the latest "celebrations" (likely the latter), but I never heard of this. Now I propose we have a ScottW holday marked on the calendar (is that lame, or what).

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Bob!

You must appreciate the erm-importance of pirates!

:L

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Not there yet . . .

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well Google changes its start page "Google Logo" quite often to suit the theme of the day, week or season so in my opinion; I think changing the "HTG Logo" in a similar vane is quite Refreshing, Cool and Geeky.....

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

change can be good every now and again :)

Posted 6 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

He looks like a little kid at holloween.Can't you put a knife between his teeth or give him an eye patch?Well,the patch might be a little tough-glasses ya know!

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

it's because he is a friendly geek pirate :)

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Indeed, from historic accounts, pirates were a very friendly bunch of folks who even elected the captain of their ships. Their real goal was to make a living, not to harm folks. Any Violence was a by product of resistance to the way they conducted business. If their quarry gave up without a fight, then, for the most part, there was no violence at all.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Rick-Would you want to fight a bunch of phycos armed with cutlasses,truncheons,hooks for hands,black powder pistols to say nothing filthy-lice ridden bodies and rotted teeth at close range?I think the villagers and towns people smelled them coming and ran away!Anyway,"Arr,arr.Avast thar me hardies".

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I Did - Center Picture on Website - Believe I had the Advantage

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Hey Rick,

Your understanding and sympathy for the pirate culture is admirable, but I'm not so sure I'd want to be in the middle of that "very friendly bunch of folks", especially if they had a few mugs of rum.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Bob,
We watched the documentary on the History Channel.
It was really informative concerning life in that era.
I didn't know they elected their Captains and ran some ships like a Democracy.
Also didn't know that some Women were very successful Captains of pirate ships.
The time period between 1500 and 1700 is not really chronicled well in most western history books.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

well, HAPPY PIRATES DAY.i can understand why some dont like the geek doing this but after all its just one day and just for fun.maybe we should have a "GEEK DAY" [lol]
mike.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that would be called PI day :D

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Hey Rick,

I watched the same documentary. Yes, I was surprised to find out that they "elected" their commander (but that was a prevalent mechanism in those days . . . even militia in the US Civil War did the same thing), and I was also surprised to see in that documentary that some women were prominent "pirates".

Nevertheless, that documentary didn't inspire any "sympathy" for their lifestyle . . . for me anyway.

Yes, it was "democratic" up to a point . . . as long as they were making money (plundering and raiding). But the minute they stopped making money, there was a mutiny and they either threw the incumbent out, or most often murdered him/her and the replacement lasted only as long as they were making money. Then the cycle repeated itself. Hardly a democracy. The only democratic thing about it was that they voted on which site to plunder.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.