How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mohitjain
  • Latest reply from mohitjain
  • Topic Viewed 32638 times

mohitjain
mohitjain

Hello, in my Command Prompt when some days before when i type "ping google.com" it shows me the ip address and the
list of packet successfully send or not but now this command is showing following error :
'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Please help me..My window 7 64-bit.

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Hello,
Go to Properties in My computer
Advanced system settings ----->Advanced -----> Environment Variables
Select 'PATH' from the list of system variables and edit and set PATH to c:\windows\system32 ; this will solve your problem

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

First, before doing the suggestion above, open a COMMAND PROMPT and enter SET. These see if c:\windows\system32 is included in the PART entry (it should be a few lines). If it isn't, do the above, but ADD ;c:\windows\system32 somewhere, closer to the from (if you put it first, it should be c:\windows\system32;). Don't just set it to c:\windows\system32 or you run into real problems.

However, it is really hard to believe with all the features and programs that are using c:\windows\system32 that this would be missing?

In the COMMAND PROMPT CD to the root by entering CD \ and then enter DIR PING.EXE /S and see if you even that the file on your system?

I've got the 64 W7 version and there are a few copies on my computer :

===============
c:\>dir ping.exe /s
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 1C5C-DD5E

Directory of c:\Windows\System32

07/13/09 09:39 PM 16,896 PING.EXE
1 File(s) 16,896 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\SysWOW64

07/13/09 09:14 PM 15,360 PING.EXE
1 File(s) 15,360 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-ping-utilities_31bf3856a
d364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_052696aea98bcefc

07/13/09 09:39 PM 16,896 PING.EXE
1 File(s) 16,896 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-ping-utilities_31bf3856ad3
64e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_a907fb2af12e5dc6

07/13/09 09:14 PM 15,360 PING.EXE
1 File(s) 15,360 bytes

Total Files Listed:
4 File(s) 64,512 bytes
0 Dir(s) 67,534,151,680 bytes free
=====================

Since I have the 64 bit version, the one in windows\system32 is the same as the 3rd. If you are missing the one in c:\Windows\System32 and you have the others, you can copy the one in the c:\Windows\winsxs\amd64* if you have the 64 bit or the one in c:\Windows\winsxs\x86_* if you have the 32 bit to c:\Windows\System32 and it should then work.

Don't have the file, you'll need to locate either on the Windows CD or the web. Reply back and maybe it is easier to locate.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

mohitjain
mohitjain

Hello @ ispalten i cannot understand the use of "dir ping.exe /s" command .. ? and it is showing the date of so long ago approximate of that time at which i purchased it, how is it posiible to see the time in computer files to see after i have changed window many times..??

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

DIR filename /S will show the file timestamp in all sub-folders of any file matching the 'filename' you supply. It can have wildcard in the name, where ? is any character (PING? would be PING with any single character after PING, like PINGA, PING1, etc.) and * and any number of characters after it.

The data shown is when the file was either created or written. In my case, 7/13/09 was when Windows 7 went to manufacturing at MS. It has not been changed since.

When the COMMAND PROMPT is at the C:\, just enter DIR, you should see a list of files and folders with different dates and times. If it is a folder (marked with <DIR>) the date and time will be when the latest files was created or changed in that folder.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

mohitjain
mohitjain

@ scorpion99 Problem is solved by your method thanks..

@ ispalten thanks a lot dear for explaining..

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!