How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Piece of Pi

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by semiretired
  • Latest reply from semiretired
  • Topic Viewed 1555 times

semiretired
semiretired

Have wheezy downloaded to my raspberry pi. I have a 7 ports hub with no brand name (stand up). There are 7 usb ports and another that looks like a printer usb that is a regular usb on the other end. Is this for a usb power connection? and would it be 700 ma. The pi needs 700 ma to operate with no problems. I hope to have this up and running this week as well as the "over the air" Hdtv antenna in less than a week.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Yes that one.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

For some reason my phone is not posting the picture, but my computer did. That's why the blank posts. A problem for another day.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Will the usb shown provide 700 ma?

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

My monitor is a 24" hdtv. As you can see in the picture, I have a 3 to 1 hdmi switch. The tv has only one hdmi input. I may try to get the over the airwave hdtv antenna to use the other port and have computer, antenna, and pi choices for this stage of experimenting.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The 7 Port USB Hub must have a power supply and then you run the cable from the USB Hub to the USB Micro Port on the PI.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

I bought an 800 ma power supply to power the pi. More this weekend.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

I have overcome some problems and am writing this on my raspberry pi system. I read that using a usb hub would overwhelm the pi and keep it from getting on the internet. Well, I used the two usb ports, on the pi, for the mouse and the keyboard and I still could not get online. In my case I have a bad ethernet cable or a faulty switch. it is getting too late for me to go on tonight. Will get back later to see if it's the ethernet cable, switch, usb hub, or all.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Ordered some cat6 cables and a 16 port gigabit switch today. I will be able to experiment with an Android 4, with the new switch and my 3 into 1 HDMI switcher. Tonight I'll try the known good cable and port with the powered usb hub. I will also go to the Pi blog/forum to report and learn more.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I think I'll get one since they are available now with the accessory parts needed.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/besp.....KNC-Y-COMM

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Is there such a thing as an on/off swtch for mini hdmi?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Hard to find.

May be get a 2 or 3 mini hdmi port input switch and NOT use one of the input ports.

This would be the same as off to the output port.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

I bought an approved Plugable usb powered hub for the Pi and am going to try the other (posted by raphonix) hub on the Android 4.0 mini. I am wondering if I can have wheezy on one sd card and plug and play another sd card with another version of Linux, interchanging them at whim, on the Pi? I will send a picture tomorrow. I am told to do the income taxes first though.

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

I am also going to place a power strip on the desk to use as an on/off switch.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Afraid to ask you who told you.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Cool !!

Posted 1 year ago

semiretired
semiretired

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.