(Solved) -Picture in email showing as .dat

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 1638 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey guys,

I just used my outlook 2003 and inserted a picture of my son into an email and sent it to my brother. He wrote me back saying that he can not read .dat files. Why did outlook do that? It used to just insert the pic into the email and the recipient could see the pic without having to download an attachment. I sent it to his gmail account and i think he checked it using the web interface not an email client. Anyone got any ideas?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

He may have .dat set to open with the wrong program in "Default Programs > associations.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

But it shouldn't even be a .dat file. The image should just be embedded in the email. That's kinda weird.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The .dat file is not the image attachment, but a rich text version of the e-mail. It's only useful if the recipient has Outlook as well. See this article for how to turn it off:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....ial75.html

An image attachment would appear as an attachment. However, if you are inserting the image inline in the e-mail it should be sent in MIME format. I don't know how to make Outlook do that, but you can probably figure it out.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I read an article about it after i posted this last night. I just went ahead and switched from rich text to HTML. Works fine now for non outlook users. Thanks guys.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!