The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Physically cleaning your Tower

(13 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Deney
  • Latest reply from coates719
  • Topic Viewed 1581 times

Deney

This has always been a grey area for me which I would like to straighten out =D.
I'm just wondering how often do you guys do it (no innuendos =.=) and how? I've only ever opened ANY of my computer towers around 5 times, and it alsways seems to be dusty. I've heard it can be bad when it is too dusty, and never mind the noise it starts to make over time ^^. Also I'm always toom probably overly carful with the inside of my computer. So how should it be done, are there any useful guides, tips?
Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

VERY IMPORTANT.
Dont use a vacuum cleaner inside the computer.
Dont use any sort of brush anywhere near circuit boards (OK for cleaning fan blades tho').
Do use lots of compressed air. (aerosol or hand/foot pump (NOT that big compressor you have in the garage))

Posted 6 years ago

Deney

Erm what kind of aerosol are we talking about, I'm pretty sure it's bad to deodrant your PC..? =p

And is that VERY IMPORTANT for cleaning your PC, or a forewarning to what you said?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

lol. Compressed Air aerosol.
And it was a forewarning.

Posted 6 years ago

Deney

Haha okay thanks. How often do you clean yours? I have yet to clean my new PC, it's about 6 months now =s.
I will probably use a hand pump...of some kind...haha.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The tower in this house only gets cleaned when when I open it up to change something (ie, change a card). (about once a year)
But it is an old, low tech piece of kit, and chugs away quite happily, even with lots of dust in it.

How often would depend on how dusty your environment is.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I am not a fan of this compressed air aerosol. Because of the pressure it produces humidity. I use the vacuum backwards (attach the hose where it blows the air out). Make sure you have a clean bag or no bag in it to avoid dust blowing out.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Only rich people have vacuum cleaners that suck AND blow :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It's actually the cheap vacuums that do that.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ah, I've never had one that did. (out of maybe, 60 or 70 I've used in my life)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I clean mine when I notice it's dusty. Sometimes, like Lighthouse, that's when I have the cover open. I use a handheld vacuum cleaner, which is easier to maneuver around the system. I clean up all the dust on top of the case and on the surrounding area since that could be sucked in next. First to clean are the *intake* vents because cleaning the exhaust first can draw the dust from the intakes further in. Then clean the exhaust fans and the power supply exhaust. Open the case and vacuum all the dust possible. Then it's time for blowing air.

The best way to blow out the inside of the case is outside with a Shop-Vac set to blow. But, for cleaning inside I do use an air duster can. When using the air duster to blow the dust, I also use the handheld vacuum to take in the dust which will just settle back down if not captured.

"It's Mega Maid. She's gone from suck to blow!"

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i have a clear side panel so i can see if it is getting dusty all of the time :) and i clean mine about once every two months. it's probs not needed this much but i like to do it any way.

Posted 6 years ago

coates719
coates719

The fan on my tower has gradually got louder over the last couple of months.

The last thing that i thought of was dust in my tower.

I opened it up the other week to see what kind of fan i needed to get to replace it and my whole tower was filled with dust.

I cleaned it out and it now runs like a (slightly old) dream.

I shall be checking it once or twice a year now.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!