The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

periodically starting problem on my laptop

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by glrsj
  • Latest reply from glrsj
  • Topic Viewed 521 times

glrsj

My laptop is sony vaio 14"; VPCEA13EN which had factory installed Windows 7 Basic 64 bit; I bought windows 7 ultimate and got it installed through the technician in the computer shop. Everything was fine in the beginning, ecept that once in a while the computer would not go through the full steps of opening, would just stall, I would wait a long time and then I had to switch it off and the second time it would start and open fully. I did not forsee it as a any serious problem.
Next I had a problem when I installed office 2003 since I liked it but in the context menu I could not get the word document to appear. I tried for solutions on the internet, one of which suggested to do a little modification on the registry. I copied the instructions and tried the procedure but did not have any success and so deleted what I had done. Then I saw a warning somewhere that touching registry is dangerous and I should have backed up the registry before doing anything. After that I backed up the registry. That is the only time I touched the registry. later through this forum I solved my problem.
Now, not always, but a little more frequently, when I try to open the computer after going through half way my computer just refuses to proceed with the opening.After waiting for sometime I am forced to shut it down and start again and it starts properly.
I know that this is not the best method. Could anyone, please, tell me whether I am heading towards some serious problem. Is there anything I can do to resolve this annoying problem?
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Was the computer shut down normally, ie. turned off completely, before this happens, or is it a result of being on sleep or hibernate and not recovering from that? Sleep and hibernate do give problems often and I do not recommend using them on a regular basis, particularly over long periods of time.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Sometimes, I keep the computer on when I go out of the room for a shorter period of time and when I came back I find it in hibernating mode. I just press the power button and it opens, shows an icon in the centre and when I click on that it opens normally.
But when I shut down the computer, I close everything that is on and finally shut it down fully and properly. But later when I open the computer again I have this annoying problem of not being able to open it normally. After shutting it down again pressing the power switch, and starting for the second time it opens but frequently with a message "computer was not shut down normally ( or properly)" and with a lot of options below with "start computer normally" option highlighted. When I enter that option the computer, after a few seconds, starts normally. So I do not know where the problem lies. Am I heading towards a crash? Th computer is not not so old and I do not use it very much since I continue doing most of my work on my old desktop.
Incidentally our internet has not been working for many days and I am using a private operator's connection dongle borrowing from someone for a short time. So if I do not immediately answer, please do not close this thread, till a solution is found.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

After I gave further information no one has replied to my question yet. In case somebody cares to help, I give some more information.
Yesterday before noon when I started the computer a message appeared saying "Recommended" complete checking of the computer. I said ok. The computer went on and on for quite some time and finally said it could not find a solution and that I should send information to Sony to find a solution. I could not do that because the internet is not working these days. Besides, even if it did how do I send the message to Sony?
Some three weeks ago, once I used my Rescue disk, which I had created nearly two years ago, but came up with the message finally saying that there was no problem.
But there is a problem.Quite a few times when I start the machine it does not proceed beyond half way and I have to switch off the machine and start it again. The second time starting has no problem. But I know this is not a normal method.
Is anyone willing to find a solution for me or is it not challenging enough to the Geeks? Any help will be appreciated.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Are you sure you are letting it stay on a sufficiently long tome to be sure the long process is not a normal one. Folks sometimes get impatient when things take longer than usual and do not allow the computer to clean itself out. Recommend next time you have the problem give it a good 30 minutes to make sure that it is simply not a glitch that would clear if given enough time.

Posted 1 year ago

glrsj

Since our internet connection has not been working for a long time, I think, we can discontinue this topic and close the thread for now. I shall try later when internet connectivity is restored.
glrsj

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!