The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

PC Upgrade

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by steviehouse
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 908 times

steviehouse

I have a PC with the following Specs and I'm looking to upgrade it.

Windows Vista Home Premium + SP1
Core 2 Duo E6600 - 2.40 GHz (4 MB L2, 1066 MHz FSB)
Asus P5B motherboard
2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667 RAM
ATI Radeon X1950 XTX 512mb
1x 320GB HDD and 1x 500GB HDD
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Cooler Master ~600W power supply (I would probably get a new PSU as this one makes a terrible squealing noise on startup and after shutting down)

I was looking at only upgrading the Mobo, CPU and RAM because I'm really quite happy with the rest of the setup. I was also just wanting to do it one part at a time, in the order Mobo, CPU and then RAM. (I plan to stick with a CPU of same socket so I think that should be no problem)
However I was looking on the forums here and saw a thread saying that I would probably lose my Vista License? Not such a disaster as it gives me the opportunity to upgrade to possibly Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Can it be done part by part or would you recommend saving for everything and basing a new build around the existing GPU, audio card and HDDs?
I was also thinking with Windows 7 round the corner (End 2009/Begin 2010 maybe) that I should just wait and do it all then Possibly switching to an i7 based system).

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Stephen

Posted 5 years ago

whs

This is a pretty nice system as is. If you upgrade now and have to buy Ultimate, you are spending a lot of money for just a few months. Windows7 will probably come out in September 09 (that's what the rumor mill says). Then you may get some cheap W7 upgrade deal and with this plus some "sad" story you may be able to talk Microsoft into revactivating your system on the new mobo.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.