How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - PC shutting down while playing game

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mickeyblue
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 665 times

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

hey all, ive been playing DIRT 2 for about a week now (awesome game btw), and all has been peachy, but in the last 2 days my PC just shuts down (as if ive pulled the plug out) during the game, then if i push the power button it turns on no problem, i initially thought it was a heat problem, but during DIRT 2 my GPU was @ +/- 55'c and my CPU was @ +/- 50'c, i use Celsius not Fahrenheit.
its odd, i cant figure out why it would just turn off. any help is always appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Hello Mickeyblue. This is your new build? And did you apply an overclock before? Is it this game only, and can you run prime95 overnight without crashing?

Sounds odd, possible faulty PSU? Check for excess heat from PSU vents. (Or anywhere else)

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

hey prosthetic head, yeah its the new PC, nope no overclock running standard specs. havent tried prime 95,
its very odd, its only while playing DIRT 2, i know its a demanding game but still it shouldn't shut down a pC, but i do agree im suspecting a faulty PSU, or the fact that my PSU is not powerful enough, i think the GFX card gets pushed more so in this game than in others and therefore requires the maximum power, i wasnt happy with my PSU as it is, it says 500W approved, then upon further inspection on the table info on the side of the PSU it says 430W maxumum power, and its not even 80+ certified. hmmmmmmmmm, could be my problem

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

That sucks. Some say even 500w is enough for most any PC, I disagree. And I'd think the GTX 260 would be hungry enough under load to require a few more watts.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

yeah especially with DIRT 2 its one of the more GPU and system demanding games out there, other games like borderlands, dragon age & the saboteur all work fine, i can play for hours and no issues, but 20-30mins into DIRT 2, bye bye power......... damn PSU!!!!!

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

all good now, got myself one of these bad boys, www.newegg.com/Product/Product.....6817341023

OCZ Fatality 700W, and managed to keep the 430W PSU (which is still new) for my wifes build that i will do early next year, SWEET!!!

thanks a bunch

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Good to hear MB, glad you got it sorted :)

That's a monster PSU! Nice warranty too.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!