The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - PC Scan

(13 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by abesupremo
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 564 times

abesupremo

Everytime I run the full scan on my laptop's system drive using my MC Afee anti virus scanner, upon reaching 90% my system shuts off by itself and never finish the scan but if I run the quick scan it work just fine. What does it mean?

Any help, thanks.

Abe

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

abesupremo, hi.

I suspect an overheating problem. Is this a laptop or desktop?

If not a heating issue your hard drive might be giving out.

Posted 2 years ago

abesupremo

CompWiz, its a laptop.

Posted 2 years ago

owen123

It might be worth getting rid of Mcafee, and getting Microsoft Security Essentials, alot lighter on your CPU etc. But not sure what your solution is.

Posted 2 years ago

abesupremo

@Owen, I heard about MSE but I can't get rid of my McAfee right now because the license is still valid. Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Probably better to ask this on the McAfee community forum?

Did you check the Event Viewer for entries at the time of shutdown?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

Download the free version of MalwareBytes and run a full system scan and see if it completes the scan without error.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/pr.....ytes_free/

Posted 2 years ago

abesupremo

@Irv S. , how do I check the event viewer?

@CompWiz, I followed the link and downloaded the Malwarebytes software, I just finished scanning my system C and found no problem but when I scanned the partition D, it did the memory dump again at shuts off by itself. Does it mean that my partition D has a problem? Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Then what I would suggest is that you run a chkdsk /r on drive D:. Do you know how to do that? If not what operating system are you running? Then I can tell you how. This procedure will fix errors on the disk which may be your problem.

Posted 2 years ago

abesupremo

Hi Xhi, I don't know how? my OS is windows 7......tnx

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Type CMD into the start menu and right click on cmd.exe. click Run as Administrator. When the command window comes up type in chkdsk D: /r
It should start to run. It may take a while depending on the size of the drive. If it should ask to do it on a restart answer y and restart. It will run then. Once it completes restart and then run your checks again.

Posted 2 years ago

abesupremo

Great, thanks a lot Guys.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

For the Event Viewer, enter it into the SEARCH box of the Start Menu. Look for ERRORS around the time of the shutdown.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.