How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

PC can't boot / AVG problem

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by imapchoo
  • Latest reply from imapchoo
  • Topic Viewed 10188 times

imapchoo

Hello!
Yesterday, while I was browsing the Internet my PC froze and I had to hold the power button to shut it down. When I try to turn it on, it freezes on the "starting windows" screen. I've tried to boot in safe mode aswell, but it gets stuck while loading the avgidsha.sys file , which led me to do a bit of research and I eventually found out it is an issue with my AVG antivirus and that in order to fix the issue I have to use their AVG Rescue CD to rename some of the files.so that Windows doesn't try to boot them. I burned the RescueCD on a cd disk and it boots up, up to a certain point: after choosing the AVG RescueCD option, it starts loading, but freezes on 1 line every time: "usb 1-7: new high speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd" which led me to believe it has something to do with the stuff I have plugged in the PC so I went ahead and disconnected everything and retried, but the same thing happened, the only difference being "number 2" instead of "number 4" . I hope you guys can understand my problem and know how to fix it, as I have already posted it on the AVG forums, but no response yet.
Thanks in advance.

Posted 1 year ago

mfletch
mfletch

Hi have you tried booting in Last Known Good Configuration

Keep tapping F8 on start-up

On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

Posted 1 year ago

imapchoo

That was one of the first things I tried, it still freezes on the windows logo.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Try using this tutorial to rename those files:

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

You can use any Windows Vista/7/8 install DVD or recovery disk.

Posted 1 year ago

imapchoo

Thanks for the reply Ruja, but I will be able to try this tomorrow, since I don't have access to a second computer to burn a dvd disk today.

If anybody knows a way to fix it with no burning cd/dvd involved, I can try today, if not, I'll be burning them tomorrow.

Posted 1 year ago

imapchoo

Ruja I found a Vista Install DVD and went ahead.and tried it out. I booted it up, it showed the " windows is loading files " screen and right after that it froze on the loading bar which would be the equivalent of "starting windows" screen. I don't know what to believe the
problem is anymore. :/

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

In the Advanced Boot Options screen, try "Repair your computer" and choose Command prompt from the list of system recovery options. In Command prompt, go to the folder where avgidsha.sys resides (probably Windows\System32\drivers) and rename the file. Restart. If you are able to boot into Windows, uninstall AVG (download the uninstaller from AVG site). I would not recommend reinstalling AVG, but instead would suggest the free Microsoft Security Essential.

Posted 1 year ago

imapchoo

G41M I tried it: it finishes "loading files" and afterwards loads that Windows-type bar, the screen goes black and flickers as if it changed the resolution and then it stayed black (frozen again).

Posted 1 year ago

imapchoo

Hello again everybody.
I've managed to fix my issue. Apparently my PC was freezing everytime I tried to boot something because of my Onboard LAN. I found this out by randomly disabling and enabling known options in the BIOS - eventually disabling Onboard LAN let me boot the AVG Rescue CD and rename the avg files which were impeding the Windows booting. Even though I now have to connect through WiFi to my Internet, the Windows is working at least. Thanks for the help everybody.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!