How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - PC Build 1155

(28 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by fredfig
  • Latest reply from fredfig
  • Topic Viewed 1382 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

Granted, typing with one finger, left handed, it takes a long while for me to wear a keyboard out for sure. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I wear'em out twice as fast as you, then (one finger, each hand).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

:) :) :)

Night all, be well.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Zzzzzzzzz

Posted 1 year ago

fredfig

LZ & Rick P:
Both of you have been extremely informative and, well, entertaining. And I thank you both for that.

One more question: I am questioning whether the PSU I have is up to the task.
In addition to the mobo, It needs to run:
DVD (sata powered)
HDD (new 1TB Western Digital) (sata)
SDD (sata)
2 x existing 500 MB ea. HDD (sata)
Did I miss anything?

here are the connectors on the Antec psu I have:
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
6 x Peripheral
4 x SATA
1 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

Your thoughts?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Fred,

Choose:

This one
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139010
Check existing case clearance 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 7.09"(L)

OR

This one
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817371022
5.9"(W) 3.4"(H) x 5.9"(L)

Comparison Page.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....2D022%2DTS

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I have to concur with Rick. Your old PSU is short one SATA connector. Add to that, it is older, thus more likely to be near its end of life. PSUs have been known to die spectcularly, taking other, and expensive, components with them.

I would encourage you to save your pennies and get the Corsair that Rick recommended (it's the one I'm going to use in my next desktop). While the Antec would work just as well, it has a two year shorter warranty and all the cables are attached to the PSU, meaning you have to find a place to put the unused cables and cable connectors. Beside all that unused cabling and connectors looking messy, they also restrict airflow that is critical to keeping your expensive components cool and not self-destructing from heat. A crowded interior also makes it harder to clean out dust that can cause overheating. Corsair PSUs have a better reputation than Antec. The one listed by Rick is semimodular. Only the 24 pin and 8 pin ATX cables for the MOBO are permanently attached to the PSU; the others are plugged in as needed, reducing clutter inside the case.

Posted 1 year ago

fredfig

Rick P. & LZ:
I am going to close this one out. I will have a great new box that will give me room to upgrade as needed.

Thank you both for your guidance!
-Fred

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.