• Started 1 year ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 781 times

Scott

Anticipation, anticipay-ay-tion...

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

@ Scott

That's odd - I was only offered 14 updates.

But you know - I still do not have SP1 installed (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

Do you think that might be related to why I was only offered half as many updates ?

Also - would you recommend that I still install SP1 at this point - even though I am current on all my Windows Updates up until today ?

I did install it around the time I joined HTG, but ran in to a few conflicts and decided to uninstall it. I'd be willing to give it another try if you think it wise.

Thanks.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Not many for Vista.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Most seem to be for Office anyhow.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Straspey, if you look, more all are 32 bit and it depends on what MS programs you use. I only received 10 updates.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

@Straspey: SP1 would be a must do in my book. Your security is at risk as well as other advantages that only work once SP1 is installed.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Win 7 SP1 has been around long enough for any bugs in it to have been found and fixed so there is no reason not to have it, not to mention your computer will be more secure and functional with it.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

@Xhi,
Not disagreeing about installing SP1 but when you load SP1 windows deletes almost all patches that were installed prior to installing SP1.
With the exception of upgrades of system related H/W.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Thanks to everybody for their helpful replies.

@ ronniesonora - It had never occurred to me that the updates might be specific to a 32 or 64 bit system. That's good to know.

@ Xhi and LF - I had just relegated SP1 to the "Hidden Updates" list and hadn't given it much thought until recently.
I think your advice is well-taken and I will install it sometime over the next few days, when I have the time - and assuming all goes well, I will then install these latest updates released today.

I'll report back to let you know how it turns out - and thanks very much for your helpful input.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

@ germ-x

So does that mean I will have a huge amount of updates to re-install ?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

LF, you are an optimist. Windows 7 is about 60 million lines of code. The industry 'standard' is 1 bug per 1000 lines of code - ergo 60.000 bugs. Do you really think they found them all.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

See - this is what has me worried...

Posted 1 year ago

whs

With a reinstall, there will be MANY updates. It depends a bit with which base you reinstall. There is a SP1 iso on the web that reduces the pain a bit. http://en.community.dell.com/s.....river.aspx But there is nothing to worry about updates. It is just time consuming.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Good job whs. He's already scared to do it and we all need to

Strasprey: Yes after the SP1 update there will be lots of updates to it which you have been missing and can only be loaded after SP1 is loaded.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

AND from what I read there will never be a Windows 7-SP2 to force users to move on to Windows 8.

Tis too bad as clean installs or installs from recovery partitions will take days now.

Known Good System Images are a MUST to have.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

Okay - so, if I understand this correctly - I will first have to install SP1, after which I will be presented with a large menu of additional updates that I will need to get up to speed.

However, I can always install those additional updates in increments, over a period of consecutive days - right ?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

@Straspey, no, if you install SP1 and a patch is included in it that you have already installed windows will either delete or overwrite it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

What I meant was that there will be lots of patches to SP1 to install since it is such a long time since SP1 was issued.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

On my list of (hidden) updates, SP1 is listed as being anywhere from 73.6 MB to 892.6 MB -- So I'm assuming that's what you are referring to, right ?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

All SP1 does is consolidate all the previous patches and a few more into one big update so that if a re-install is necessary there is no need for individual patches up to that point. It's a cleanup of all that has gone before. From that point on patches are continued to be issued. It is all the patches since SP1 was issued that will have to be installed.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.