The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Password Protected Sharing on Win7

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by enonod
  • Latest reply from enonod
  • Topic Viewed 1216 times

enonod

I have two computers both running Windows 7 64bit.
I have a problem that wireless network is one way only.
Desktop cannot see laptop
Laptop can see Desktop.
Firewalls have been turned off and have no effect.
Workgroup is the same
I have narrowed this down to Password Protected Sharing (PPS).
To work BOTH ways the...
Laptop must have PPS off
Desktop can be either way.
Though of course I can have it working like this, something must be wrong.
Both computers have the same user name and blank password and are Administrator.

It is as if the password is wrong one way, but neither actually have a password.

Is there another setting somewhere? All the advanced share options are set the same except PPS.
[EDIT] I get error 0x80070035 Network path not found Desktop to laptop
Any help please.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

The help for PPS is :

++++++++++++++++
Password-protected sharing is on by default for computers in workgroups. When password-protected sharing is turned on, people using other computers on your network can't access your shared folders or printers unless they have a user account on your computer. There are two ways to turn on file or printer sharing:

Create identical user accounts on all computers in the workgroup (recommended). For more information, see Create a user account.

Turn off password-protected sharing. To turn off password-protected sharing, follow these steps:

Click to open Advanced sharing settings.

Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.

Under Password protected sharing, click Turn off password protected sharing, and then click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

+++++++++++++++++

It does work when PPS is off on both? Not clear from your message? Also check the TCP/IP settings, like the NetBios helper, all are needed?

Have you tried re-booting the Router? Could be part of the problem?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

enonod

Thanks for the reply. I did say...
To work BOTH ways the...
Laptop must have PPS off
Desktop can be either way.

Both computers have the same account and each has a blank password as I have always been used to on XP.
That would 'appear' to be irrelevant because it works one way!
TCP/IP settings are the same on both. Netbios helper is running on both.
Rebooting the router? It works one way. However tried but made no difference.
The only thing that 'logically' seems different would be the sending of the account information when accessing. I presume this is automatic, I don't get any prompt either way. I would have expected that if the accounts were wrong in the failing direction I would be prompted for logon.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm not using PPS and have W7 and 2 XP systems on the LAN. XP's can see each other and the W7 and the W7 can see each XP as well. One XP is PRO, the other MCE. All are at the latest SP level.

My W7 can put files on and execute files from the XP Pro as can the XP MCE. XP Pro can put files and execute files on the W7 system as can the XP MCE.

However, W7 to XP MCE is troublesome. Large files and many small files can not be transferred to the XP MCE system, but from the XP MCE I can 'pull' any size file and as many as I want from the W7 system. Another one way street it seems. The W7 system just stops (Home Prem. 64 bit) and says it has lost connection. Of course I can immediately try again but it still fails and no sign of a lost connection?

I sort of suspect a W7 bug here, and maybe that is what you are seeing?

I'm out of suggestions, sorry.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

enonod

Thanks anyway

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.