The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Password Manager Roboform vs LastPass

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by physioz
  • Latest reply from physioz
  • Topic Viewed 4172 times

physioz

I need advice*. I currently use Roboform (paid version) as my password manager and have had no problems (that I am aware of at least). However I notice that the majority of Geeks seem to prefer LastPass and Roboform doesn't seem to rate a mention except on more commercial sites (Cnet etc).

Is LastPass significantly better than Roboform? Would you change and if so why?

No limitation on Essay length - bonus marks for simplicity. Due date ....

Thanks in anticipation.

*PS aspirant Geek

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I use RF and have for years. I see no reason to change? I'm happy with it and it does all I want. Let me ask the question in reverse. Why do you want to change and what is it that RF doesn't do for you?

You'll find many give advice here, and the majority of that tends to be for free programs. Some free programs basically duplicate the features of paid programs, but may be missing a small feature few need.

I use Norton Ghost, but due to its cost ($70 USD list) the free back up programs are mentioned here. Some have less features, like incremental back-up or automatic timings of back-ups, still the free ones will 'do the same thing'.

I've not looked as LastPass so I can't comment on it vs. RF.

As my mother used to say, "if everyone else jumps off the building, are you going too?".

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Irv,

I use RF too for me, with my disability RF is a must because i would be sitting here all day typing in passwords LOL LOL I paid for the pro version because RF limits you on how many passcards that you can handle. i think the differents from Lastpass and RF is that Lastpass is online database driven and RF is more localized which i like better. not saying that Lastpass isn't good but for me i like to keep my passwords local or as local as i can.

john

Posted 2 years ago

algernon99

Since the new RoboForm Everywhere came out, I am supersatisfied. I used to carry around a flash drive with RF2Go on it, because I use 3 or 4 computers all the time. Now with the licensed RF Everywhere, any passwords saved on any one of the computers is available on all the others. Yippee!

Posted 2 years ago

physioz

Irv -

I currently use RF Everywhere Pro and I do accept your mother's jumping analogy. However, my original query arose because some password managers e.g. LastPass allow two-factor authentication i.e. you would need your password (RF Everywhere) + something else (local) e.g a one-off random number from a key/other. To me this would imply that even if your RF Everywhere account was somehow hacked you would be "ok"? Roboform does not have this facility and does not plan to (I emailed their support).

Based on this I had a quick look and it would seem that most "geeks" seem to use LastPass so I asked what I thought was a general question - to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld it's a "known unknown" for me. I am continuing to use RF Everywhere for the foreseeable future. There don't appear to be any LastPass/alternative fundamentalists/afficionados willing to blast RF (at least on this forum).

Dave

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I only use the local stuff, have it on each computer and don't even share the passwords amongst them. I don't use Everywhere so I can't comment. I'll assume RF feels they have a very secure 'cloud' server and method of getting the sign-ons so they feel they don't need to implement anything else.

Wonder if LastPass can handle different devices using the same sign-on if it required a random key? Almost sounds like those garage door openers that have random signals. However the garage door openers know how many signals they handle and are equipped to handle that many. Either that or LastPass has duplicate sign-ons, one for each entry device. If you were to change one, the others would not?

In any case, it doesn't effect me. Probably not many RF Everywhere users either worry about this.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

I use Dobysoft "Keypass" and have for several years. It has good encryption and guess I am used to it. I tried the Roboform but found it a bit cumbersome. Guess it's that learning curve thing.

Posted 2 years ago

physioz

Irv

Like you, I was wedded to only using local stuff. I then started travelling and added RF2GO - but had issues with this. When RF Everywhere came out I migrated to that. I am, shall we say, "slightly nervous" about cloud servers and that is the primary reason why I posted this. I was hoping that I'd get some responses from LastPass users for a different opinion. Unfortunately not - c'est la vie. Guess I'll be sticking with RF Everywhere.

Thanks, anyway

Dave R

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.