The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Partitions?

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Mike1030
  • Latest reply from jmeeks49
  • Topic Viewed 705 times

Mike1030

How many partitions should I create for a Linux distro only.

Need 3 for "/", /home, swap.........can have only 4 primary.........so make these 3 primary & a 4th Extended..........correct & what should be the file system of Extended?

What is the logic behind beginning & end when using GParted to create them?

What should be the size of swap even if I don't want hibernate, have 2 GB of RAM?

Should swap be at the start or end of the drive?

Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Mike,

i believe you can only have 4 partitions on one logistical drive no matter what OS you installed windows has a limited of 4 and my thinking is that any OS has limitations i am not a Linux user but i think the same applies to all of them.

John

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

John, you can only have 4 primary partitions in the NTFS file system. But you can also have 3 primary partitions, 1 extended partition and about 100 logical partitions on the same disk.

The important point is to stay with 3 (or less) primary partitions when you want to create additional partitions. If you try that with 4 primary partitions, you end up with all partitions being 'dynamic' - and that is a mess.

Posted 2 years ago

Kelen
Kelen

What I have done when using linux is /boot=50~200MB , swap=1.5x of RAM , /=30~60GB , /home=everything else.
You dont need to seperate /boot from the rest of the root(/) but I like to have it at the begning. Same with the Swap file as HDD R/W heads like to float at the edges of the disc thus I can keep anything that has to be put in swap at the front for easier access. Keep the /home seperate because that is the same as the Windows User folder that has all your personal data and settings for applications. Keeping it seperate helps if you later need to reload the OS because that partition can be reused with the reloaded OS.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

sorry whs my bad..

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.