How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Partition Troubles

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by taybay
  • Latest reply from taybay
  • Topic Viewed 1399 times

taybay

Hi folks. Two questions:

When I installed Windows 7, it created at 200MB partition that isn't doing anything except holding boot instructions. I can't do much with it because it is a System partition. Is there any way I can make another drive the System partition and remove this 200MB partition?
Also, I'm in the process of installing XP on another partition. Should it be a Primary partition rather than Logical? Is there a way to make it Primary?

Here are my partitions

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Taybay, see this other recent discussion about partitioning for Win7 dual boot.

I've never seen a partition layout like the one you have. I'm wondering what partitions were on the disk before you installed Win7? Did you create the partitions that are there or did the Win7 installer do it automatically? From the discussion in the other thread, your XP partition does not have to be a primary partition. The only way I can see for you to modify those partitions would be to start over, assuming that you don't have a lot of time and effort invested in your current installs.

BTW, it's easier if you install XP first before Win7, but not required.

Posted 5 years ago

taybay

Thanks Scott. Before I installed Win7, I had three partitions: OEM, Vista, XP. I'm not sure what the OEM partition does but from what I read about it, I felt I should leave it alone. When I installed Win7, I think I allowed it to create multiple partitions; I assumed it would be for system restore. I installed Win7 and then began to reinstall XP because it was in need of a format. Neither of my OS's are currently very settled so I guess I'll just consolidate my partitions and start over.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Re the OEM partition: If this is a rather small partition, it most likely contains some system utilities that you can use from the BIOS (disk checking, RAM diagnostics etc.). I have that type configuration on my Dell.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Taybay, if you decide to go for the do-over, I would suggest that you remove all except the 55 MB OEM partition. Run the XP installer first and partition the drive during the install. That should be a Primary (Active, System) partition. Then run the Win7 installer and point it to the unallocated space after the XP partition where it will create a primary partition for itself and install the Win7 bootloader which will let you choose your OS at boot time (dual boot). Good luck!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

I did about the same as in ScottW's suggestion.
The only difference is that I Stucture the the HD Partition Configuration FIRST and then Clean Install the OSes.
Much (Easier) if XP or Vista is Loaded Before Win7.
On Builder Machines, the Installation has less constraints with Restore Partitions and such than on Prebuilt OEM Machines.

Posted 5 years ago

taybay

Thank you all for your info. I'm just going to start from scratch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.