How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Partition Magic 8

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from TheShadow
  • Topic Viewed 143398 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Does anyone know if Partition Magic 8 will work in Windows 7? I have a partition that i would like to delete and just redistribute that free space into another partition. Does Windows 7 have any built in tools to do that?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

DO NOT user Norton Partition Magic by Symantec on Vista or Windows 7!! The program has not been updated in over 5 years, so it's release pre-dates the release of Vista.

You can use Vista and Windows 7's Disk Management to delete, shrink, and grow partitions. It will not move partitions, though, so it's not likely that you can redistribute the space exactly how you wish to. There are newer partition managers, some commercial and some freeware. Paragon Partition Manager has a free edition. Easeus makes a free partition manager, and some folks use GPartEd for Linux which can handle Vista partitions. I have not personally used any of these products. On the rare occasion when I need to move a partitions, I use Norton Ghost to backup the data, delete and re-create the partition with Disk Management, then restore the data from backup.

EDIT: forgot one, Acronis Disk Director which does not have a freeware version.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Thanks ScottW. Good thing i didn't decide to just try it. I'll check out those programs you mentioned.

Posted 5 years ago

GB014934

A few comments about the response from Scottw .....

The free versions of Paragon Parition Manager and Easeus free partition manager only work on 32bit versions of Vista.

Paragon has a verion which works on 64bit Vista (it also gives much more function) but it costs $39.95.
Easeus has a Professional Version which works on 64bit at a cost (check the web site for offers) of $31.96.

Myself - I still use Partition Magic on my XP (32 bit) Partition which I keep for my Flight Simulators.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I'm going to use it on Windows 7, 32bit.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@GB014934, that's good information, thanks. I forget about 32 vs 64-bit Windows because I haven't had to deal with it yet. I have my old Partition Magic CD here, but it doesn't get much use.

@ALL, I expect that someone who desperately wanted to use the free partition software could create a bootable CD with a 32-bit environment such as Windows PE or UBCD4win. My thinking is this: you should always backup your data before doing something risky such as moving a partition. So I just backup the data with Ghost, delete and re-create the partition in the new place, then restore the data from Ghost. I just did this recently when I needed to move 2 partitions to make room for Windows 7.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

The unfortunate experience of the user in the thread below just bolsters the argument to always backup data before messing with partitions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....y-computer

Posted 5 years ago

sheepsimulator

ScottW,

Are you absolutely sure that Partition Magic 8.x isn't going to work with Windows 7? Just because it hasn't been updated in 5 years doesn't mean it won't work.

Perhaps the NTFS filesystem format hasn't changed in the past five years, and because of that the tool will work just fine? Have you, or anyone here on this forum, tried using it? It provides some features that you can't get anywhere else, namely partition merge.

Doesn't seem to me like you have good reasons.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

sheepsimulator, I have tried Partition Magic 8 in Vista and it doesn't run. I own a copy, purchased for use with Win 9x and XP systems. The fact that Partition Magic by Symantec does not work with Vista is well documented. Google it and you will see many threads on the subject.

I have documented it on this forum many times and I think that when I wrote this post 6 months ago, I didn't feel like repeating the reasons that PM8 doesn't work. It has not been updated in 5 years and is now a dead product. To cite just one outside source, Wikipedia says:

PartitionMagic is compatible with Windows NT, 98, ME, 2000, and XP desktop editions. However, it is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, or 2003 server editions. It crashes if a Windows Vista partition is present, even if it is run from a different operating system, with the error "Init failed: Error 117. ... The same error occurs in some conditions under Windows XP.

The Windows Vista Compatibility Center makes it clear that Partition Magic 8 is NOT compatible and there is no patch or upgrade.

Symantec clearly shows that Partition Magic 8.0 is NOT compatible with Vista.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Finally, to settle the Windows 7 question, I installed Partition Magic 8 on Windows 7 RTM and the Compatibility Assistant says this:

The check for online solutions shows no solution and recommends that the user contact "PowerQuest".

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

mikisu
mikisu

Here is a freebie,really excellent which will work in w7- Partition Wizard HERE.

Similar in layout to Easus.

Works 32 or 64 bit.

Posted 4 years ago

ITfans
ITfans

partition magic cannot support server 2003 as well as Vista/2008/Win7, it has not been upgraded for such a long time. I like to use easeus partition partition master, safe and easy, there is more details http://www.partition-tool.com/.....native.htm

Posted 4 years ago

TheShadow
TheShadow

For several years, I've NOT installed PM8 into any OS.

I run it only from a bootable CD or Flash Drive, so it doesn't have to deal with any OS on the HD.

I've used that technique to set up drives and partitions for Vista Ultimate and Win-7 Ult. 64.

So far, NO PROBLEMO!

Shadow :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!