The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Partition letters change in dual boot XP and Vista

(3 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Goose
  • Latest reply from Goose
  • Topic Viewed 4076 times

Goose

I got my Gateway GT5132 to dual boot into XP with Vista already installed (as per your instructions, thank you.), but I have a small problem with my setup. I did every thing you mentioned, made Vista my C drive and XP my E drive since Vista uses D for RECOVERY. When I was ready to install XP to my E partition my computer gave me a choice of H the first time, so I re-dual booted trying to get the letters to show E partition for XP. This time I ended up with the letter I for my XP partition. I had 288GB free so I gave XP a little under half of that for space, for media audio cleaning and burning and maybe a little gaming. Once setup is completed, you can not change partition letters in XP. It will not let you. And it will tell you, you can not change the drive letters. Is there a way to correct the partition letters back the to the way I had originally had the letters set up? By the way, my first dual boot I deleted the recovery partition D and ended up on H for XP. On my next dual boot, I thought I would try to put XP on E and leave the D partition along. It didn't help. Is my partition too large or is it just my Gateway?

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

If you go into disk management you can change the drive to any other available letter ... you might have to change one to I: and the E: to J: then go back and rename I: to E: or ... however you want it configured. As long as you know the size of the drives and what is on each ... just rename them all to something like X: Y: and Z: Then go back and rename the drives to what you want.

Posted 6 years ago

Goose

I tried that first thinking it would work too, but XP and Vista give you a Disk Management Box with a red X and the following: "Windows cannot modify the Drive letter of your volume. This may happen if your volume is a system boot volume, or has page files". I could change my XP to letter A in Vista before installing XP, which may give me E patition for XP, but Vista wouldn't let me change the letter from A to E in Disk Management. I know there has to be another way. Thanks for your reply. Made error in first post. My computer is a Gateway GT5432.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.