SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Page Fault In Non Paged Area... Please Help.

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lisha07
  • Latest reply from Lisha07
  • Topic Viewed 17813 times

Lisha07
Lisha07

Hello. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer. For a couple days now I have been getting the Blue Screen error. To explain how this started, I had finally rid my computer of a virus, or so I thought, by running malware bytes. Everything seemed to be running fine until suddenly I had a brief power outage which caused my computer to shut off because my battery or charge adapter no longer works so I keep my laptop plugged into an outlet. From then on I have been getting the Blue Screen. At first, I was able to boot in safe mode, but now I cannot boot into anything. Safe mode freezes when I try to load from it. I tried a couple of things but to no avail so if someone can please walk me through on how to possibly get my laptop back up and running I would be so appreciative. I have another dilemma that makes this all the more frustrating to fix... My CD Rom no longer works. I would like to try everything possible to restore my laptop. I thank you for your help in advance. Below are some details about my laptop....

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Speed: 2400 MHz
Memory: 6144 MB
BIOS: F.26
Factory Installed OS: Vista

Error receiving: Blue Screen: Error: Page Fault In Non Paged Area: Technical Information: 0X00000050

Thanking you for your help in advance!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi Lisha07

There should be a recovery partition on the Hard Drive, details below
There will be options to repair your Laptop, since it was a power outage, more than likely the OS is corrupt.
http://www.ehow.com/how_693851.....ition.html

If you use this option you will lose any data on the Laptop!!

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi Lisha07 ,

Carefully remove a stick of RAM (assuming you have two 3000ish cards of ram), and try booting up.

If similar results try swapping the SODIMM (ram) over to find the bad/faulty RAM card.

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Thank you both so much for responding! I'll try these and see what happens and report back. I unfortunately have to step out but as soon as I return I will get to work. Thanks again!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Make sure netbook is turned off, battery removed, and unplugged from the power between each stage.

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Thank you for the warning Lighthouse. You all are so helpful. I still am not home to try the above ideas, I am and will be communicating through my phone. I have a question though... I am assuming I try removing the stick of RAM first since doing the recovery partition will cause me to lose my data. I have never done something like this before, I planned on researching it but if you have a tutorial you can refer me to on how to remove the stick of RAM that would be great so I make sure I do it properly. My other question is, for the recovery partition option, is there anyway to save my data before performing this option?

Thank you all again ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Follow these instructions to backup your data: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

You say your DVD unit doesn't work, you will need to create the bootable USB drive. Or maybe try pressing F8 repeatedly and select "Repair my computer" from there (instead of "Safe Mode"), to access the recovery partition which will be similar to the Windows 7 install DVD.

You can try to run System Restore from there too, this will restore your system to a previous state, try to select a restore point before these problems started.

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Thank you Ruja! I can't wait to get home so I can try this all. I will have to create a bootable USB from a friends laptop. I tried F8 to get to the recovery partition previously to repair my computer and have tried to run system restore several times but neither has worked. I will try again though for good measure and if it fails again ill try it from a bootable USB. If that fails I'll back up my data (hopefully it works) then ill try to remove the stick of RAM, and lastly if all else fails ill try the recovery partition option. If anyone has any other suggestions I welcome them or if you think I should try these in a different order please let me know. Thank you all for your suggestions, I have a lot to work with and I'm not as discouraged as before. You're all awesome! I'll post back with details later.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi Lisha07

Below is a manual for your Laptop, it will show you how to remove various components, if all else fails you can remove the hard drive and connect to another PC/Laptop and recover your data that way, before you use the recovery partition option.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03043778.pdf

This is a device for connecting the hard drive to another computer, you should be able to purchase something similar.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/be.....html?src=2

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Hi everyone. I apologize for the delay on my part. With the Christmas Holiday fastly approaching and then me comind down with a cold, it put me behind a little bit. But I'm feeling better and ready to try to attempt to fix my laptop with your help.

Gedstar, thank you so much for providing the manual for my laptop, I really appreciate that. That will help me greatly.

Ruja, after days of trying to create a bootle USB I finally did it. The laptop I borrowed from a friend was giving me some issues because everytime I tried to download what I needed to create the bootable USB I got a message that there wasn't enough space, so my friend had to clear out some things on his laptop and eventually got it back to me and now all is well. The bootable USB booted up the laptop fine and I have the directions on how to backup my data which I will do as soon as I get home so that I can take apart my laptop to remove the ram, but before I do that... is it possible to create a bootable USB for Vista like the one I did for Windows 7? When I hit the repair my computer from the bootable USB it found my partitions (I am not sure if I am saying this correctly because I am not in front of my laptop) but I couldn't go any further because I had Windows Vista nad not Windows 7 if that makes any sense at all. If this is not possible that's fine, I am prepared to take apart my laptop and get to work ;)

If the RAM trick doesn't work then at least I will feel safe to use the recovery partition that gedstar recommended since I would have backed up my files.

Thank you all again for your help!

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

If you can't advance past the "Select an Operating System" window it is probably because your OS is 32-bit (x86) and your install DVD or USB is 64-bit (x64) or vice versa. But don't worry, you don't need to download everything again to backup your files. Below the list with your Windows Vista OS at that screen, there is an option to "Restore your computer with a system image that you created earlier". Select that option, press "Next", and when the next error (probably) shows up because there is no system image, cancel twice and you will be in the "System Recovery Options" screen, do just as in the tutorial I posted. Continue from there.

If after backing up everything you want to reinstall Windows Vista, there is a procedure to create a similar bootable USB and install Windows Vista from there, although it is a little bit more complicated (not too much). If you want to do so, ask us and we will provide you the files you have to download. For any further help just ask.

EDIT: I just saw you have a recovery partition, if you can reinstall from there then it will be much easier.

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Thank you Ruja! Would you suggest after backing up my files I try using the recovery partition instead of taking out the RAM?

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I would recommend the recovery before removing RAM, because you have not found any problem so far with the Windows 7 install USB, which is indeed a small and clean Windows 7 (called Windows Preinstallation Environment or Windows PE). This makes me think that a clean Windows install should not have the blue screen problems you described. If RAM was causing any problem, i think they would have been present while running the Windows USB too.

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Good point. Thanks Ruja! I'll be home in a few. I'll go ahead and back up my files using the directions you provided to me above then I'll try the recovery and post back here with my results.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Hello everyone! I was able to back up my files and am now in the process of recovering. I got to the point where I had to restart the laptop where from there it continued to do its thing. Now it's to a point where the screen says "please wait while windows continues setting up your computer...", but it has been on this screen for almost 2 hours now. Is this normal? If not will I further damage the laptop by shutting it off and starting over?

Thanks for your help!

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Hi again! Please disregard my previous post. 5 minutes after I posted that it started doing something else besides being on that screen ;)
Looks like its still setting everything up. I'll post back shortly.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

I had to step out but I ended up leaving my computer running. The screen it is currently on is just black and its been like that for awhile, running pretty loudly, so I'm hoping that's just the process. In the mean time do you all know what would be a good virus protection I can use? Is malwarebytes and AVG pretty good?

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Malwarebytes is not an anti virus. It is an extra malware checker. Most here use this for anti virus.

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....s-download

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I don't think the recovery should take that long. Leave it for some more time, but if you find you can't restore your computer you should maybe think of reinstalling Windows Vista from a bootable USB (like the Windows 7 one).

Look at the sticker with the product key that should be attached to your computer. It should indicate which version of Windows Vista you are running (Home Premium, Business, Ultimate). From your computer specs I understand you have a 64-bit (x64) Windows Vista.

You can download the official Windows Vista setup files from here (instructions included, you will need your product key during installation):
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....28AskVG%29

Only Windows Vista Ultimate is available, and only in English, French and German (I would always recommend choosing English anyways, even if you speak German). Get the three files for "Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (64-bit or x64)". Link with instructions on how to create the bootable USB is in the same webpage. Once the Windows Vista install USB is created, if you need to install a non-Ultimate version, delete the two lines near the bottom of the \Sources\Inf\SETUP.CFG file in the USB. They look like this:

[DefaultImageSelection]
Value=VFWBB-HAJJV-G996G-QWGJY-2V7X9

More info about this: http://jimcofer.com/personal/?p=6119

If you have any doubts just ask.

On a side note, Microsoft Security Essentials is a good choice, as warlock says.

Posted 1 year ago

Lisha07
Lisha07

Thank you Warlock and Ruja for the recommendation on a security tool. Once I get everything up and running I will download what you suggested.

As for my laptop, I just got back home from the time I last posted and my screen was STILL black, so I shut it off, turned it back on, and got to the screen that says windows did not shut down properly... with the options to boot in Safe mode or start windows normally. I tried normally at first and got the black screen again. When I tried safe mode it booted, with an all black screen, the words safe mode in all four corners, with Microsoft (R) (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) at the top middle, and right in the middle of the screen a box that is labeled "Install Windows" that said "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart the computer" I hit OK and it looked like it was restarting then put me back at a black screen.... *sigh* Just when I thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel. So Ruji I guess I will have to do the USB install... or do you think I should try the recovery again?

Thank you all so much for your help I'd be lost without it ;)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!