The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

(Solved) - Overclocking Question

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by ModderXstatic
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 3000 times

ModderXstatic

I was wondering how to overclock my 2.88ghz Intel Celeron and 2.88ghz Intel Pent.4, they are both in dell computers that are just sitting in my room, so I thought I would mess around with the overclocking on these. Can someone please help me and walk me through some steps or even direct me to a guide on how to do this?

Thanks,
ModderXstatic

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic
at0mic

dell's bios won't let you do anything except maybe turn on and off sata ports and adjust the time and date

Posted 4 years ago

ModderXstatic

Is there anyway I can flash the BIOS to enable overclocking settings?

Posted 4 years ago

at0mic
at0mic

probably not flashing a dell motherboard

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ModderXstatic,

Don't think there is any company that writes Complete Code for Mod Bios Programs anymore OR at least haven't run across one since the 1990s.

The Bios companies write Bios Code as per the specification of the OEM computer assembly companies such as DELL, HP, etc............

Motherboard component manufacturers such as Asus, Gigabyte, etc... which also make Custom Builder Motherboards for [individual sale] specify the more sophisticated Bios Code written by the Bios companies for their specific branded products.

BE VERY, VERY, VERY LEARY OF "STUFF" LIKE THIS http://osrom.net/biosmod/ ON THE NET !!!!

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

as previously stated by other members, overclocking a OEM PC especially DEll is nearly impossible, i think some do allow it but those would be the high end PC's with overclocking features that are made possible by the motherboard.

in any case P4's dont overclock heavily/very well, the max you would probably get the P4 is 3.1 or 3.2ghz, and from 2.88ghz thats not much difference, then you have to consider getting an after market CPU heat sink and cooler as the standard one will not cool the CPU properly.

my suggestion, if you have some money to spare......say $100 get yourself a nice socket 478 motherboard (if you still can????) thats capable of overclocking, then get a aftermarket heat sink&fan, then put the CPU into the new motherboard and experiment with overclocking.
BUT be very careful and read up about the overclocking process, as a few incorrect calculations and SIZZZZZLE there goes the CPU/motherboard. fried.

but if you buy a decent enough motherboard and not push the CPU/motherboard beyond the bounds of "safe" overclocking you will be fine.
and by "safe" overclocking i mean realizing when to stop before your PC becomes a paperweight ;)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

P4 NORTHWOOD 478

0.13-micron die Tualatin core [old P4 = .18-micron Williamette]
146mm² core size with copper interconnects [old P4 = 217mm² with aluminum interconnects]
512KB L2 cache [old P4 = 256KB]
socket-478 (pin) packaging [old P4 = both socket-423 & -478 packaging]
1.5v default core voltage [old P4 = 1.70v and 1.75v]
Contains 55 million transistors [old P4 = 42 million]
8KB super-fast L1 cache [old P4 = same, P3 has 16KB, but not the super-fast stuff]
64-bit quad-pumped 100MHz FSB (effective 400MHz) [old P4 = same]
2 double-pumped ALUs (Arithmetic Logic Units) do the work of four, running at twice the processor core speed [old P4 = 2 single-pumped ALUs]
No support for dual-processor system configurations
DDR-SDRAM chipset support
uses Rambus DRAM [old P4 = same]
144 new SSE2 instructions [old P4 = SSE2, but not these 144 new ones]
20-stage pipeline [old P4 = same, P3 = 10-stage]
uses NetBurst technology instructions [old P4 = same]
new ATX 2.03 spec for mounting heatsink retention fittings [same]
requires additional 12-volt 2x2 power supply connector [same]

I have the Rambus Ram if you want to make a Build. (LOL) (LOL) :) :)

Best Regards
Rick P. <GRIN>

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!