How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Overclocking a Q6600

(17 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by madmacs
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1680 times

madmacs
madmacs

I would like to O/C my 6600 and was wondering if anyone could safely guide me in the right direction.

Q6600 (G0 stepping) Scythe Kama Cross CPU Cooler
Asus P5ne32-sli
2x 2GB Mushkin 991580 XP2 6400 4-4-4-12
2x 8800 GT in sli

I´ve read on a few other forums that people are getting there Q6600´s up to 4Ghz. I know this isn´t possible without water cooling but 3,2Ghz should be possible on air shouldn´t it?
Thx in advance, Matt

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

madmacs,
Down and Dirty Way - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - Have spare parts on hand.
ALL fans and cooling running at MAX.
Crank up FSB in increments of 3 until machine becomes unstable.
Back Off 2.
If machine goes into Thermal Shut-Down, Back Off 5.
When you think machine is stable; RUN Prime 95 with Other Programs Loaded.
If machine Fails Prime 95, Back Off 2.
Again Run Prime 95 with Other Programs Loaded.
Continue this process until machine can run Prime 95 WITH other programs loaded AND is running O/C.
This is (Base Line) O/C (without) Over-Volting CPU and Components.
Next comes Over-Volting CPU plus Components Increasing FSB (From Baseline O/C) using (Same) procedure as above.
Other members have their own (more) sophisticated methods.
(NOTE) Successful O/Cing Means Running Machine in Error Free, Stable Condition, Under (ALL) Circumstances.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

nuke3ae

Here you go

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1

From tom's hardware forums

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thx for your replies, i´ll get back and let you know how fast i got it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

madmacs,

(nuke3ae)'s Link Above is (VERY GOOD) with Pictures so would suggest you use the link for detailed info.
As I stated, my way is just a Down and Dirty Method which is fast to implement but doesn't go into the details of why as (nuke3ae)'s article does plus discuss the temperature issues.
Relying on Thermal Shut-Down as I do is a (Pretty Risky Way) of getting to max O/C so that's why the article is a (Much Better and a Safer Way) to approach O/Cing than my method.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

rick,

well i´m still reading the article that nuke3ae posted here, and yes i do agree that it´s a little safer than waiting for a Thermal Shut-Down, lol. There´s a lot to take into consideration and unfortuantely my dearest son (3 yrs old) broke my printer yesterday, so i´m gonna wait until i can print out the whole article and follow it step by step. Matt

Posted 5 years ago

nuke3ae

Yea, I just built a new system that I want to OC so I've read that guide a couple times. Figured Id wait a few weeks and see if I felt that the processor was sluggish in some games.

q6600
P5Q pro
4870 x2

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Matt,

The only reason O/Cing was started years and years go was to make a less expensive lower speed CPU perform like a more expensive higher speed CPU.
Since the Processor manufacturers use to "Cull" their CPUs, the better ones being capable of higher speeds, sometimes O/Cing worked and at other times, it didn't work so well.
Now a days, due to manufacturing process improvements at the Fabs, all CPUs are more uniform in quality so the speeds are locked and the pricing structure is artificially controlled.
This same artificial control pricing is now used for pricing multi-core CPUs as they are more uniform in quality also.
The moral of the above is to purchase the Fastest Speed, Multi-Core, Most Cache, Least Core Affinity, Balanced Core Performance, Smallest Physical Size, Current / Future Socket CPU one can possibly afford - Forget the pretty LED fans and lighted cases (LOL) (LOL) (LOL). Next step up, Multi-CPU Machines. :) :) :)
My Opinion Only. :) :) :)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Q6600 is harder to overclock on air. My E6400 made it to 3.2GHz without a problem though. That's a 1070MHz overclock.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Agree, air is tough for good O/Cing.
Spouse didn't like -196 liquid nitrogen rig with bottles, etc., setup in dining room so had to go back to air also.
A real "bummer" !! :( :(
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Good one, Rick! Liquid nitrogen is tricky to use and very expensive. Once it vaporizes, it's tough to condense it back into a liquid again. The condenser alone would cost more than a faster PC that doesn't need to be overclocked. Also, you have to worry about race conditions when the CPU goes superconductive. :-P

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,

Yes I know. Wife was terrified of whole process especially of the huge machinery. Wasn't to scared of going super conductive because wasn't that far down but still had to take precautions.
Neighbors did call police several times when I went outside in thermal suit but just wrote it off as a domestic disturbance. Of course, money is of no consequence when trying to get a Good Over-Clock but Spouse just doesn't understand.
Oh well, maybe on the next Build ??
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:) :) :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Here is a system cooled by liquid nitrogen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVSgtskg5sE

However, liquid nitrogen is too expensive and has to be continuously replaced. I like the oil-cooled, total immersion system better. It's very inexpensive, completely silent (no fans!), and the coolant lasts a long time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8L1Prl6tk

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@ScottW,

I LIKE the oil method !!!!

Have too watch the video again.

See right way how to improve on it a bit.
Maybe a 3 HP 3PH re-circ pump and another outdoor 100 Gal oil tank with refrigerant coils inside, etc., etc.....
Spouse might go for the oil method as I wouldn't have to have the large machinery to liquefy nitrogen.
--------------------------
As I was trying to explain to her, getting a Good Over-Clock is just as important, if not more, as keeping one's Face Book and My Space Profiles up to date. One just never knows when even a stranger may ask what is your processor speed and it would be very embarrassing to the whole family to have to tell them it was under 4GHz and you had no o/c. :(:(
--------------------------
Thanks for the link.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

spitvs

True Overclocking is only with liquid cooling and if you are just going to use air, I would use a BTX motherboard. The BTX uses the technologies of the AT and the ATX on cooling.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

For those following this topic, obviously the last (5) postings were just in "JEST" so let the topic float off the main page. NO need for further postings.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I still reckon that the vegetable oil system should be "agitated".

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!