The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Overclocking

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ronniesonora
  • Latest reply from Handthumb
  • Topic Viewed 391 times

ronniesonora

I overclocked my Asrock Extreme 6 mobo with i5-3570K to 4.5. Run CPU-Z and Prime95 stress tests and the temperture never went above 71C. I figured it would have
been in the 80's.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

TJmax on that CPU is a 100 C I think so you could probably do 4.5 - 4.7 while bumping around in the 90Cs.

That's if you get NO errors in Prime95.

Be sure you are not getting a Core Stall on one of the cores by checking Task Manager also while O/Cing.

Tip:
Sometimes RealTek Audio Manager running in the background will cause a Core Stall and keep temperature artificially low and you won't know it unless you check the graphs in Task Manager during O/Cing.

I use Real Temp and just setup the systems to run at 4.5 - 4.8 when called for.
http://www.techpowerup.com/dow.....irrors.php

4.5 is a good O/C because above that, most of the time Prime95 will start having errors which means the CPU is not operating at 100% pure condition.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Rick, I really don't want to go any higher. I started out thinking maybe 4.1 or 4.2 but it worked so well I decided to kick it up to 4.5. Like you know, the more heat, the more ware & tear on the cpu. I used offset voltage so it drops back to around 36C under normal use. But thanks for your post.

Posted 1 year ago

Handthumb
Handthumb

Wow, I was worried about 49c on my cpu. Lol Shows you what I know. I'm new to overclocking and it gets a bit confusing after a while.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I read that someone had calculated that are over a million combinations of settings in the Bios of Builder MBs. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

That's a relief. I was so afraid it would be ten million.

Posted 1 year ago

Handthumb
Handthumb

Oh Lord, that's a lot. :) Before I try and overclock my computer some more, I am going to build a back up computer first. Is there somewhere where you can go to learn some basics of overclocking?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Handthumb
Handthumb

Ronniesonora, thank you very much! :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!