How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Outlook - Multiple Instance, Multiple Profile

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by vickybuddie
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 20621 times

vickybuddie
vickybuddie

I have two profiles in Outlook XP, both using MS Exchange server. Say one is vicky@aaa.com and second is vicky@bbb.com . Now, I can check only one mail account at a time using outlook. Say, if i've currently opened aaa.com profile, to check bbb.com mails, I'll have to close the outlook and restart it with the bbb.com profile. This is quite tedious, as I need to use both very frequently and subsequently. So, is there any way to run multiple instances of MS outlook - where one instance runs aaa.com profile and the other instance runs the bbb.com profile....??

Otherwise, is there any way to receive both the mails [aaa.com and bbb.com] on a single profile. [p.s. - Outlook doesn't allow multiple MS Exchange servers in a single profile]

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Unfortunately there's no good solution to this problem, other than maybe using IMAP/POP to check the second exchange mailbox.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I thought of a couple ways that might work though they are far from ideal. I don't have two exchange accounts so I can't say for sure if they would work.
1. If Exchange Web Access if available use it on one of them.
2. Use Sandboxie to run one of the instances of Outlook. Depending on how Outlook doesn't support multible instances this may still fail.
3. Use virtual machine software like VirtualBox to create a Virtual PC running it's own copy of Windows XP with a copy of Outlook that would be seperate. Having a whole seperate copy of Windows XP running under the main Windows XP just for Outlook might be a bit excesive but it would work.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@jd2066

Using sandboxie is a brilliant idea! I wonder if it will work... need to test.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Amazing, somebody found a solution to this one.

http://lifehacker.com/5060667/.....of-outlook

Posted 5 years ago

Santo
Santo

I too use two profiles in Outlook, one is opened in IE browser(because it is the one that is perfectly compatible with MS Exchange) and in Outlook. Tomorrow I am going to try the application suggested by Geek.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

That application is more than slightly brilliant...

Basically, Outlook does a check to see if another instance is running before it will launch itself. This application simply hijacks that Windows API function temporarily and returns "false" when Outlook tries to check if another instance is running. It's extremely simple, but really great.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.