The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

outlook express problem..

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by aussiereg
  • Latest reply from aussiereg
  • Topic Viewed 2038 times

aussiereg

how do i stop outlook express from wanting to compress my files, the popup asking is a pain in the neck

Thanks....

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Are you sure it's compress and not something like compact? I don't recall Outlook Express ever asking to compress files.

Posted 6 years ago

aussiereg

yes it is compact .. sorry, but the end result is the same, but i should have been more precise

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The following page maybe helpful:
http://email.about.com/od/outl.....act_oe.htm
It lists why you should run the compact function and how to setup Outlook Express to make a backup before you tell Outlook Express to run the compact function in case when during compacting the message store get corrupted (which normally should not happen).

Posted 6 years ago

aussiereg

I am not interested in running Outlook Express compact function, i dont need to do it, i have a 4Gig partition just for my mail store, all i am wanting to find out and get help with is stopping Outlook Express compacting...

Thank you ..

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I just searched with Google and found http://groups.google.co.uk/gro.....b12b9bfb4f
It appears the popup comes up when Outlook Express has been closed 100 times and the only ways to remove it is to either compact like it wants to or edit the registry to reset the 100 times counter to 0.

Posted 6 years ago

aussiereg

Thankyou for this info, and i feel like an idiot for not doing the google thing too ... Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!