How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Outlook 2007 Strange Behaviour

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by SimonMarshall
  • Latest reply from SimonMarshall
  • Topic Viewed 1799 times

SimonMarshall

Hi Guys,

I have started experiencing a really weird problem with Outlook 2007. I have had it set up on my Vista Laptop for some time. I have 2 profiles one for my Exchange sever at work and one that has my 2 Pop3 accounts I use at home. It has all been working fine until recently, now every time I start windows it automatically brings up the outlook profile screen (which one do I want to start), even though I have not executed Outlook. It is not set to run in the start up programs and I have checked msconfig it is not set to run anywhere, but still brings up the profile box on starting.

Any one have any ideas???????

Simon???????

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Welcome Simon
Did it suddenly start happening, maybe after a Vista Update or installation of other s/w?
Hello to the C.I. :)

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Have you installed any tools that might be accessing Outlook, like a sync utility?

Posted 6 years ago

SimonMarshall

Hi Guy's, I have an Asus lap top and it has a utility that flashes up mail on a little LCD screen, but that's always been ok. I wasn't sure when writting the first post, but I think it may have started around the time I installed Office SP1. But I can't be 100% sure of that. Hence why I thought I would ask other people.

Thanks for your time on this.

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

Have you tried a repair of the office suite?

Posted 6 years ago

SimonMarshall

No in all fairness, I just saw it as more of a quirk than a problem. Might be worth a try though.

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

SimonMarshall

ok the repair doesn't work. The otherthing I forgot to mention is that when the original select profile box comes up if you click ok for a profile Outlook doesn't launch. Except as a background service (which I notice it still does even when you shut it down for the record).

Posted 6 years ago

jraparrish

Repair does not work, or did not fix it? If all else fails, uninstall everything, then restart and re-install again. During one or the other, the real issue may present itself and hopefully correct your problem. All your data will be left intact, you will just have to re-associate your pst for the pop accounts and if you use exchange in cache mode, any ost files. BTW, can you reach both Exchange and your POP3 accounts at the same time, or do you have profiles for separating them?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

You can use the program Autoruns to check if Outlook is on Startup somehow. It lists many places where programs can start from.

Posted 6 years ago

SimonMarshall

Hey Guys, Thanks for the posts. The repair ran, but did not sort the error. I have access to all the accounts so I could try to re-install, the profiles are to split work from home so my exchange is under one profile the pop accounts are under the other. I will give the Autoruns a try. Just seems strange that even if you click ok on the dialogue box it still doesn't exacute. Like I say it's a quirk more than an issue, might wait for the next round of updates before I re-install, bit like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

I was more intrieged to see if anyone else had experianced this.

Thanks for your post though.

Simon

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.