Outlook 2007 | Email Accounts |

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by RJNJC
  • Latest reply from RJNJC
  • Topic Viewed 3937 times

RJNJC
RJNJC

Outlook 2007 | XP Pro SP2

When setting up Email accounts within Outlook, I would like to separate out my personal (blog related & personal email accounts) email accounts from the other work related data folders I have created.

How Can I do this such a way that my left bar in Outlook would look something like:

[+]Work:
>>>>>>>data file 1
>>>>>>>data file 2
>>>>>>>date file 3

[+]Personal:
>>>>>>>blog email ID
>>>>>>>family email ID
>>>>>>>forums email ID

Hope I am clear in what I would like to do!

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

I think what you are trying to do is organise your mail.

The best way to is to create rules, in which mails meeting a certain criteria are moved to one of these folders. For example, if you have a mail from address 123.com and this email address is relating to work, you can create the folders above by right clicking the mail box, select new folder, then when mail come in right click the mail, Select Create Rule, Select the criteria which matches what you want and select the option to "Move to folder"

Hope this helps

Regards, AlanMcC

Posted 6 years ago

RJNJC
RJNJC

Thanks for the quick response.

That would work and I have done that with specific incoming project related emails related to my 'work' email.

I wanted to set up each of my 'personal' email accounts with the typical subfolders such as:

[+]blog email ID
>>>> Deleted Items
>>>> Inbox
>>>> Junk Email (not necessary as general junk box works in its place)
>>>> Outbox
>>>> Sent Items
>>>> Search folders

And also set up the smtp so that I can send mail as if sending out from each a specific email ID.

Am I getting my head in a twist here!? :(

(I have been using Thunderbird thus far. But the Outlook 2007 has really grown on me and I basically would want to set it up in such a way that I have a mirror of my Thunderbird-setup in Outlook 2007)

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Use IMAP instead of POP. If you use Gmail, they just enable IMAP on gmail accounts. That will setup the folders the way you want. In my personal opinion i don't like it like that though. I'd rather have one global inbox and trash and sent etc..., then like AlanMCC said, just create rules to move emails to specific folders.

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

What your looking for is to setup mail boxes in outlook 2007.

First your mail provider must support POP3 and SMTP, if so you will need the address of both the pop3 and SMTP server,

Then follw the settings from the link below (although this is for outloot 2003, the idea is the same, - just click advanced settings when selecting configuration method )

Only one exchnage accoutn can be configured in outlook, but many pop3 providers

http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/e_m.....ter/3.html

Regards, AlanMcC

Posted 6 years ago

RJNJC
RJNJC

Thanks InDiSent,

I have not used IMAP before [ok ok call me a Duh! :( ] Will look into that.

The reason I want to set it up this way is that if any of my coworkers need to use my machine (it does happen!) then the Outlook sidebar would NOT clearly show all my personal email accounts on first glance. They would be under the expanded folder [+]Personal.

Would the IMAP route + AlanMCC's tip also allow me to set up 'smtp' so that I can send email from a specific email account ID?

Posted 6 years ago

RJNJC
RJNJC

@ AlanMCC;

Hadnt refreshed the page, thus missed AlanMCC's comment.

Setting up the mailbox is fine and I am comfortable with that.

Is there a way to separate out a group of mailboxes under a 'folder' which I would name 'Personal'. I would then expand the Personal folder to view all the mailboxes I set up (all POP 3).

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

No, Mail boxes are at the top level.

Posted 6 years ago

RJNJC
RJNJC

Thanks Alan MCC and InDiSent for both of your help.

Off I go to my Outlook and look for something else to ask about! ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

RJNJC
RJNJC

Going back on this particular topic again!

InDiSent wrote:
Use IMAP instead of POP. If you use Gmail, they just enable IMAP on gmail accounts. That will setup the folders the way you want. In my personal opinion i don't like it like that though. I'd rather have one global inbox and trash and sent etc..., then like AlanMCC said, just create rules to move emails to specific folders.

Having thought about it, this would work for me.

But is there any way I can also set up smtp so that I can reply to an email received via a specific email, as if I am replying from that email.

So essentially I have one global inbox with rules to divert specific emails to relevant folders. But have different email accounts as 'sender' when I create a new email, or reply to an existing email.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.