The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Out of ink already?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by curiousguy
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 335 times

curiousguy

I have a Dell printer [all in one 713W maybe 18 months old. Have only printed maybe 20 pages of black text and only 4 or 5 pages full color. I typically go 2 or 3 months w/o printing anything. My printer is set to do maintenance once a week but it never prints anything out when it does so. It's telling me it is out of ink.? I ran 3 or 4 test pages and did a deep cleaning the jets twice. Shows black and all 3 colors very low. Is it possible ink cartridges dry out naturally even if one barely uses them? It has 2 separate cartridges.

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Yes they dry out. And if it came with the printer there is not as much ink in them as when your buy new refills.

Posted 1 year ago

curiousguy

Thank you warlock. I have another question. Maybe you could tell me WHERE to post it? MyToshiba laptop [I5/4gigs memory] has built in Hotspot capability. Other wireless devices can connect to my laptop once I give them the password and the laptop shows they ARE connected but when I attempt to turn on "Share my Internet" I get an error message saying "an error occurred while attemping to turn on share my internet". It seems to be security related but seems like it would say that? I am trying to connect my [wireless only] Samsung tablet to the internet [when I am at work] THROUGH my Tosh laptop.

Should I just post it in Off Topic?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Post it in a new topic in whatever operating system your using.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Inkjet ink cartridges can dry out through lack of use although it's far more likely the print heads will get clogged from disuse first. Inkjets clean the heads by forcing ink through them, which can use up a lot of ink. Those are the major reasons I will never ever own another inkjet. I had one for a year before I got fed up, tossed the printer as high in the air as I could into the dumpster (it made a most satisfying clunk when it landed), then got a laserjet. Though expensive to buy at first and the cartridges aren't exactly cheap, laserjets cost less per page to use than inkjets, even after factoring in the initial costs.

New printers are notorious for coming with "starter" cartridges that are only partially full. How full they are (or, rather, aren't) varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!