The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

organizing files by number

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Lighthouse
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1181 times

Lighthouse

I know there have been several queries recently about organizing files, & I found this
http://www.sdsoftware.org/default.asp?id=7077
Haven't tried it, but someone may find it useful

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom

Today must be SDSoftware.org day. Their ExplorerView software was listed in two other threads, it was the subject of today's How To Geek newsletter, and now LeCase shows up here.

I'm going to make a restore point, then try a few of the offerings from SDSoftware.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

That may be useful. Especially for large picture files. I have always been struggeling with those.

Posted 6 years ago

Appletom

I've played with some SDSoftware, the stuff is good and solid. ExplorerView is running, it solves the problem of Vista forcing folder column choices upon me - now every folder, regardless of what file types are inside, has only the columns I want.

LeCase is also pretty good, I used it to change a few hundred files from FileName.jpg to SequentialNumber.jpg.

SDSoftware seems to be a way for the site owner to distribute software that uses Bible verses for graphics. A very cool way of "spreading the Word" if you ask me. And it's very subtle, no preaching at all. They also have a program called ActionBible - it seems to be Bible searching software plus a whole lot more.

And - to keep this post on topic - I found another renaming software. ReNamer is much more powerful (i.e. much geekier) than LeCase, you can set up all sorts of rules for how you want the files renamed.

http://www.den4b.com/projects.php

Here's how it is described: "ReNamer is a very powerful and flexible file renaming tool, which offers all the standard renaming procedures, including prefixes, suffixes, replacements, case changes, as well as removing contents of brackets, adding number sequences, changing file extensions, etc. For advanced users, there is a PascalScript rule, which let users program their very own renaming rule. Program allows you to combine multiple renaming actions as a rule set, applying each action in a logical sequence, which can be saved, loaded, and managed within the program. In addition, it has an ability to rename folders, process regular expressions, Unicode capable, and supports variety of meta tags, such as: ID3v1, ID3v2, EXIF, OLE, AVI, MD5, CRC32, and SHA1."

it's only fault I have found so far is you can only append to the file name, you can't remove the original file name entirely from the renaming process.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Thanks for that Appletom. I did realize the programs have religous connotations, but as you say, they don't flaunt it.
And if the programs help in the day to day activities on your computer, what's another menu item?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.