How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Oracle Virtualbox

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mayagrafix
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 627 times

mayagrafix
mayagrafix

Want to install windows 7 in a VM but having problems with CD. Where can I get an ISO image that will work with Virtualbox? Also, should I register the virtual copy? I have the serial #s but I vaguely remember something about M$ allows only x times to use the same number, but I might be wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is much appreciated :>)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Depends on what you want to use it for in a VM. And I would suggest this, rather than VB, (uses less resources and in my experience is better)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_vmware_player/

for iso,
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I also suggest VMware Player. Here is a tutorial on how to install. The tutorial is for Windows 8, but the windows 7 installation is the same - just select Windows 7 in lieu of Windows 8.

You may be lucky for activation with your product key if it is on the same machine. But theoretically you need a seperate key.

You can also make an iso from your DVD. Here is an example how to do it: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....e-file.htm If you Google 'Make iso from DVD', you find more.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

How come this posting was marked 'Solved". The OP never came back. Some clearvoyant must have been busy at work.

I am asking the question because this happens all the time. Postings are marked 'solved' when there is absolutely no indication that this is really the fact. Is there some quota for solved threads.

Posted 1 year ago

mayagrafix
mayagrafix

Thanks for the prompt replies... Unfortunately, this is a Dell box and although good enough every other way they don’t come with an installation or recovery cd or dvd anymore! what they do come with is some crappy Dell-ware with which u are supposed to make your own recovery disk (but so far has not worked for me), at least the they still print the product key right on the box:>)

The thing about the activating key is that it is easy for me to erase the VM and make a new one for whatever reason. However, if I use up my X number of activating chances, then what do I do? easier just to re-install windoze after 30 days?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Don't know. Perhaps the OP marked it without comment. Or LH needed a green check to bring him out of a blue funk. :)

Posted 1 year ago

mayagrafix
mayagrafix

I was posting

Posted 1 year ago

mayagrafix
mayagrafix

I was writing an answer for the first two comments, and marked solved before sending the post. Hope this solves ur mystery :>)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Thanks, it does solve the mystery.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Regarding your recovery disc problem - you can burn a DVD with the Dell program. That is the usual way it is done these days by all manufacturers. But the better way is to make images. Here is how.

Regarding the activation you'll have to see how this plays out. Hard to say.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.