The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Optical drive doesn't function

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vickybuddie
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1427 times

vickybuddie

I have a strange problem with my Optical drives. The SONY DVD Writer works fine in the 'Guest' login account of XP. But it doesn't work in my account, which has admin privileges. When I login with my admin id, the drive shows up in 'My Computer' but that's that. It doesn't read any disc at all in explorer. I can access the disk content using 'ISO buster' and such softwares, but the CD itself is inaccessible in Windows explorer.

There's no such issue when I use the 'Guest' account. What's the problem here? Can anyone suggest me what I need to do?

P.S. - My PC is stand-alone and is not part of any network.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

See if the DVD drive shows up in Disk Management. Mine is listed as "CD-ROM 0" then beneath that it says "DVD (F:)". Is there a drive letter assigned to the drive on your system?

Posted 6 years ago

vickybuddie

Yeah. The drive shows up in 'Disk Management' and is assigned a Drive Letter too. Everything else is there. Only thing, it doesn't read the disk in my account, but does in Guest account. :(

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you install this drive yourself? And, if so, did it come with an installation CD (that installed s/w, other than drivers)?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.