How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Opinions Please

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by semiretired
  • Latest reply from mu-tron
  • Topic Viewed 412 times

semiretired
semiretired

As it stands right now, would you buy the new Samsung Galaxy tablet with the stylus, or a Windows 8 tablet. I presently have a Samsung S3 and like it a lot, but a tablet may be the way to go, to stay current with Windows.

Posted 1 year ago

mitilini

Hi,The good: The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 sports a proven, sensible design, a bevy of useful features, and fast performance. The S Pen Stylus is a unique addition.

The bad: Only a limited number of apps make full use of the S Pen and some of the ones that do can be buggy and confusing. Some S Pen features aren't enabled by default and others don't work properly.

The bottom line: The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is the best Samsung tablet yet. If you can get over its somewhat high price, it's a sound Android tablet investment.( Saw the above review on the net)

This link may also be of interest to you,in addition of what other members here may advise.

http://www.techradar.com/news/.....cleContent

Posted 1 year ago

mehilde

I have a iPad version 1, a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the non-stylus version) and within the last month a Galaxy Note 10.1. I love it. The Samsungs are much easier to work with than iPad. You are not required to go through iTunes for any interaction or transfer from PC (or mac) to the tablet. The Samsungs are lighter (by an ounce or 2). They may or may not be faster (I don't speed read or shoot demon hordes). Apps are equally available on both tablets - there is nothing I can do on the iPad that I haven't been able to do on the Galaxy Tab 10.1. (Although Apple makes it easier to find and subscribe to podcasts - Hint to android developers.)

The only place the Galaxy Tab and the iPad failed on was handwriting apps. I like to fill full pages with long intricate sentences, much to the chagrin of my English teachers and I usually write in a small, tight cursive which is difficult to produce on a page with an kindergarten sized stylus tip such as is sold for the ipad or Tab 10. (See?) I tried several note and writing apps for both machines but none would work for more than notes or reminders.

This season what to my wondering eyes and wandering fingers should appear but the Gal Note 10.1 with the built-in stylus. The point is a small pencil-point that produces a tight responsive line that is legible even with a whole portrait- oriented page of scribbles. Same for drawing and painting - I can do pencil sketches and painting, detailed photo touch-ups.

People have said there are few apps for the S-pen. I understand but disagree. You can use your finger as a mouse and the S-pen as a mouse interchangeably. The pen and glass on the Gal Note 10.1 are capable of differentiating 1000+ levels of pressure but you don't need that for most apps. The drawing function and physics game built into the tablet are fine for me at least.

Do I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1? Yep!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think at this time the Windows tablets are far too expensive. If you have the money, then go buy it. But I will wait. In the interim I got a Nexus 7 which is a lot of fun.

Posted 1 year ago

mu-tron
mu-tron

I prefer not to waste my money on a tablet there way to expensive for me, if you want to stay current with Windows just buy Windows 8 for your laptop or desktop, even though Windows 8 seems to be designed for tablets. I tested Windows 8 preview on my laptop and it worked greet so i've ordered it online.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!