How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

opening msn on vista - slow

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by msnsucks
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 4492 times

msnsucks

Hi

Im using vista .. msn takes about 10 mins to load up. This has been ongoing since about december so system restore wont help as the oldest restore point is 1st june. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing works. It starts normally in safe mode. Any ideas?

thanks

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Is msn the only website with this problem? Which msn website are we talking about? Are you using IE - if yes try another browser, i.e. Opera 9.5 beta2 http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/ -- This is usually lightening fast. When you install it, it imports your favorites (bookmarks) from IE automatically.

Posted 5 years ago

msnsucks

ah no sorry my bad .. windows live messenger IM program. hotmail also doesnt work very well .. dunno if this is related? takes about 2 mins to load an email (i havent had the laptop long but it used to work fine) this is the only site it happens on.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I would check the firewall settings - if you are connected thru a router also those settings. Security is the only area I can think of being responsible for the hold up.

Posted 5 years ago

msnsucks

As far as i know its not being blocked .. once messenger is opened i can log in perfectly ok, the problem is the delay from when i click to open the program to when the window actually comes up on the screen. It will run as a process, but the application wont start for at least 10 mins after clicking it

Posted 5 years ago

LorinM

I have been having the same problem on many different PCs. Opera or Firefox both work quickly on the sites IE is very slow at opening.
I have turned off all add-ons and still have the problem. I have had our IT folks run MS IE fix it softweare (something we, the general public, cannot get our hands on) and it did no good.
And this applies to XP Pro as well as Vista.
Maybe someone interceptiing your IE traffic? Maybe someone bombarding IE traffic or MS webservers.
Does IE talk to the mothership when going elsewhere?
What is very interesting is that if I use a Visual Basic program thatues the web browser control (a subset of IE) the web pages load quickly. Very strange!

Posted 5 years ago

msnsucks

no its not IE opening thats causing problems .. opening Windows Live Messenger, as in the application. The hotmail website is slow to load when i open an email

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I would guess that the issue is one of the plugins for live messenger, or in the case of LorinM it's likely an add-on causing the issues.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!