How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Open Source Compiz Fusion / Beryl for Vista

(13 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 18109 times

thegeek
The Geek

One of the coolest additions to Windows Vista would be an open source clone of Compiz Fusion for Vista... we might not be able to get all the effects, but we could definitely get the Desktop Cube effect.

There used to be an application called Yodm3d that did this(somewhat), but it was sold off and is no longer free or available, so I'd like to see the next one be open source.

With all the game developers writing code for windows, it seems like this would be a no-brainer... just tap into the new compositing engine and grab the window previews?

The How-To Geek would personally be willing to donate [EDIT-removed amount] towards this.

Posted 7 years ago

Danielt998

You can download an application that gives you a sort of 3d desktop and a few other special effects for free at: http://shock-4way-3d.en.softonic.com/

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i bought cubedesktop because it's been reliable and highly customizable. but i'm always looking for graphics. now i'm playing around with paint.net and layering wallpapers in transparency. heres my new look...

http://s426.photobucket.com/al.....hot002.jpg

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Far freakin' out. Keep on posting those shots but be prepared to offer how-to's :)

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

here is my cube :D

http://i225.photobucket.com/al.....cube-1.png

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

jack, is that ubuntu? what's the name?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

yes it's ubuntu and it's compiz fusion :D

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my cube doesn't work like that, howdjewdoit?

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

in the terminal you type in ccsm that will bring you to the compiz screen then double click on the desktop cube icon to see all of the options that you can change and mess around with :D

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

that's what i have checked, the only thing i get is my screen flipping in circular cube motion. not a floating type. everything that says cube, i have checked. except capped.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

try clicking and holding in the middle button of your mouse while on the desktop or you can hold ctrl + alt and left click and do it that way too let me know if it doesn't work for you

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

cool beans, now i need to add two more to make up the mathematically correct cube. thanks...

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

glad i could be of help :D

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!