How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Open Office.org

(42 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by JDorfler
  • Latest reply from JDorfler
  • Topic Viewed 6058 times

JDorfler
JDorfler

I see you guys do a lot of How-Tos for MSFT Office, but how come no love for Open Office? Be nice to see if there are any tips or tricks you can do with that program that isn't so obvious for the rest of us.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think it is because most of the stuff in the two are mainly the same so there really isn't a need to do it but there are some things different but not many.

Posted 5 years ago

JDorfler
JDorfler

You are probably right. With the right extensions OOo does just as much as MSFT Office, and even much more without being so blotted. Thanks for such a quick reply.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

no probs hehe :)

and welcome to the site

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

As you poke around, you will see that we typically have OpenOffice as one of our main recommendations around here. And since MS Office has the lions share of the business, Microsoft Office makes it easier for people to find their way here for help. If we get enough help requests for Open Office, maybe one day they will change the forum name for Microsoft Office to just plain old Office. I doubt anyone here cares who's 'Office' program you are running or have questions about, just ask away and I'm sure someone here will jump in and try to answer.

Posted 5 years ago

JDorfler
JDorfler

No problem Budohorseman. Don't get me wrong. I love MSFT Office. Heck, I own MSFT stock. I just prefer OOo. And thanks for the welcome Jack.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

JDorfler,

Open Office (3 Beta I think??) is out and getting very good reviews from what I've read.

Appears most questions from posters asking for help come from MS Office 2007 Users but THAT IS JUST CONJECTURE from reading daily postings for awhile.

As Jack indicated above, OO will do about the same things as Office 2007 (especially version 3) so difference in amount of help questions may be due to installed user base.

If I didn't already have a Full Copy of MS Office 2003, I would certainly be using Open Office so there is NO prejudice on this responders end.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Unfortunately only a small number of people use Open Office, and those people tend to be more proficient in the first place, making the audience for articles on the subject quite small.

Personally I prefer MS Office 2007 to anything else out there, and since it's what I use all the time the few articles even written on office subjects end up being things that I come across.

I'd be thrilled if somebody came along and contributed some articles on Open Office, though.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

One thing on Open Office. I've not used it but I have a friend who does. I have MS Office 2003.

As an experiment, I asked him to send me an Open Office doc as an attachment to see if I could open it in MSWord. The two are supposed to be compatible, so I fully expected the thing to open.

When I tried to open the attachment, all I got was jumbled machine language in the MSWord window.

Turns out there's apparently some kind of "Save as" setting that automatically saves as a compatible MSWord doc. He didn't save it that way at first, so that's why I got the Open Office format that wasn't readable in MSWord. He changed the setting, sent it to me again, and this time it opened just fine.

So if you use Open Office and want to send a doc to someone who only has MSWord, you'll need to have that setting correct.

As I said, I don't use Open Office so I can't be more precise on where that setting is or exactly what it says.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

it's just when you goto save it you just have to change the format that you save it in

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

As it has always been; it is imperative that one must save and communicate information in some type of universal format; thus the argument for Open Source programs, O/Ses and non-proprietary accepted standards.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That's what I like about Word 2007. One has all those nifty formats in which to store a document. And when in doubt, .pdf always works - anybody can read that.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
I will give MS the benefit of trying to be inclusive, however if you look at the extensions, all but (3) or (4) were created by them. (LOL) (LOL)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Normal - they have over 80% of the market.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that a rtf can be read by anyone too

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jack,
You are correct, RTF is pretty much universal like a CSV data file is.
@whs,
Just a thought provoking statement in my last post.
To make one wonder why there are no other extensions anymore and what could be the cause ??
Surely the cause can't be that Word Perfect, Etc. were "poorly coded programs" ?? (LOL) (LOL).
Could something else have happened ?? (LOL) (LOL)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@rick maybe they were just never used lol :D

because i only use .doc, txt, & pdf

just a thought :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I think jack is right. It's a matter of usage. What's popular stays, the other stuff dies. Just think of things like 8-track tapes or Betamax.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jack,

Have to "Crank Up" the Way Back Machine to see what really happened.
"Hint" MS never has been known for its' high ideals nor fair business practices. (LOL) (LOL).
"Hint" B. Gates wasn't the best coder around but became a very rich man.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

naw gates was always more of a business man

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!