How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Ooops, User registration was broken.

(24 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 3222 times

thegeek
The Geek

I didn't realize that user registration on the forum has been broken for the last 2 days... should be fixed now.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I thought things were a bit quiet!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

That's the way to give us some rest

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@whs

Well in that case, I planned it! :-P

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Very thoughtful, thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@The Geek, did you also sabotage the power transformer at ThePlanet? We had quite a long rest there with absolutely no postings.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Yeah
Geeks going to any lengths now to satisfy us - even if it means killing people next
mhahaha!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I have a strict rule on not killing... thankfully I don't know any spammers so I don't have to break it. =)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I had to kill a spammer this morning. The Geek has "henchmen" to do his dirty work :)

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

yeah
thats how he keeps his hands clean (and is allowed to wear those glasses on his avatar :)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Please. without The Geek, we would not be here.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

this means that i have less reading to catch up on from the past 3 days i have been gone woot

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

what is woot?

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

means
yay
or similar

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Lighthouse, woot is one of those weird pseudo-words that only exists on the net and no one really knows how it got there. I know it from online gaming which also propagates other odd lingo, like pwned.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/w00t
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pwned

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I guess my fight for the use of proper English language is hopeless. And it would be so easy if everybody were a little disciplined. Would make communication so much easier.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I agree with whs completely.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs: Don't get me started. I could go on for hours about the difference between "loose" and "lose" which seems to be lost on the Internet. But, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are ignored by so many forum posters that it just feels hopeless. I think the children coming up today will speak like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIUcRJX9-o

Lighthouse, I totally hope you are joking. :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

But in some way it is rude towards the people that are not familiar with this kind of language - especially for people of other native languages. This is really ashame. I think we can only constantly remind everyone to make themselves understood - else communication is pretty hopeless.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I am enjoying this discussion, though feeling slightly guilty about hijacking the thread.

whs, I feel that when speaking or writing you must know your audience. In other forums that I have been on, everyone is in the US so I know that I can use American slang and colloquialisms. Here on this forum we have such a wonderful international audience -- which I really like. Knowing that is my audience, I try to avoid using too much "American". I also check a poster's Location in their profile whenever possible. Even the use of British English versus American English is something I try to work on. I believe that in most countries where English is used as a second language British English is more common.

For those who are non-native English speakers I am always respectful. They speak at least 2 languages and I don't. Also, I am more forgiving of their English language errors. Those of us in the US and UK have less of an excuse for improper use of English.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!