The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

online movies

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by lesslaw2000
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2430 times

lesslaw2000

I am using Firefox. When I go to cbs.com and try to view a movie foxfire says encountered a problem and must close. This also happens when I try to view downloaded movies in my videos in my doc..

Here is all the info i have: appname firefox exe. modver. 5.1 2600 5512 appver 1.9.0.3188 modname ntdll.dll offset 0001b1fa
I file the error reports but I don't know if that helps.

Sorry that is all I have. Hope you can help.

Larry

Reports: 1 · Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

1. Have you tried to watch the on-line movies with another browser - e.g. IE?
2. Try to open the downloaded movies with WMP. Right click > Play with WMP. You can also try VLC. It plays most anything.
3. What is the filetype of those movies?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Larry, as far as I can tell, it looks like cbs.com uses the Adobe Flash Player to stream videos. I would suggest that you use the Flash uninstaller from Adobe:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservic.....;sliceId=1

Remove all of the old versions of flash, then get the latest and greatest version from Adobe here:
http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-FLASH

Also, if you still have trouble with Firefox, try IE as whs suggests.

Posted 5 years ago

lesslaw2000

OK I have updated adobe flash. I tried CBS.com movies in IE and they worked. However the my downloaded movies in My Videos do not work in IE. I have other downloaded movies in asureus and downloads and they work but when I open my video it says it must close and gives this error code. appname:explorer exe
appname:6.0.2900.5512 mod name mpegsplitter.ax mod ver:1.0.0.5 offset:000249eb It used to work. Seems I must have done this somehow. They are already in VLC mode. Orange and white cone but I don't get that far before the explorer must close comes up.

Posted 5 years ago

Antman
Antman

I had the Firefox problem before but with Quicktime, and even though I had the latest plugin it still crashed. Anyway I tried a few things and the one that worked was updating my video card driver. Sorted everything right out.

Posted 5 years ago

lesslaw2000

I have done all the things above. Have the most updated drivers. All the other places work. My downloads and Azures downloads. What could make My videos the only one that says sorry windows explorer must close when I open it. I did them the same way. Don't even know why the ended up there. I have done a restore but I don't want to do a disk restore and loose all my other stuff.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Larry, do you have any codec packs installed? I have seen all kinds of trouble caused by those things. My advice would be to remove them.

I don't quite get what you mean about the My Video folder, but if you get this application crash when the folder is opened that could be because of the thumbnail preview. In order to generate those previews, the files are opened and that can cause a seemingly innocent action -- opening a folder -- to cause a crash.

Posted 5 years ago

lesslaw2000

When I go to my documents there are five folders there. I did not put them there. They were already there. (My downloads, My e books, My music, pictures and My music.) When I downloaded some movies. Some went to My downloads and that one works fine. Some went to My videos which says sorry windows explorer must close when I try to open it.
Yes I have a codec pack but some movies won't open with out it and besides the other folders open up so it must be something that I did there. I thought I would just delete everything there but I don't think that would fix the problem. I mean if iF download something and put it there the same thing would probably happen.
Thank you for your time.

larry

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor
JadeEmperor

Larry,

try removing the codecs as ScottW already mentioned. you don't need 'em when you have VLC.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Larry, one of the error messages mentioned an "mpegsplitter.ax" file which is what made me think to ask about codecs. It may be that only certain types of video files are being saved in your My Video folder. Whichever MPEG file type is trying to use the mpegsplitter will probably crash every time whether you launch it yourself or if you open the folder with thumbnail previews on.

Here is an old thread from someone who had a problem opening a folder with video files in it. The solution was to remove the codec pack.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....r-closing-

You could also try the instructions to disable thumbnail previews that is listed in that old thread. That would at least prevent an application crash when opening a folder.

Posted 5 years ago

lesslaw2000

Thank you. thank you Scott. Went to that thread. It said try the tweak tool. It worked. Finally fixed this irritating problem.
A few more questions when you have the time.
1. Firefox starts up very slow. I did try a program called finetune but it doe snot seem to help.

2.I think I may have to do a disk restore because I cannot get my wireless back. Do you know of an article on here for instructions on how to record what I have on my PC onto a CD. Never done it before. I don't want to loose my bookmarks and movies and music.

3.Maybe you can help me with the wireless problem so I won't have to restore. That thread is (wireless connection). You can read what happened there. Was strange what happened.
thanks in advance
larry

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Larry, you're welcome! I'm glad that worked for you. If I had a dollar for every time a codec packed caused someone trouble, I'd be a millionaire. :-)

1) Firefox can get bogged down by lots of add-ons, or conflicts between add-ons. Try starting the safe-mode Firefox at Start -> All Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). If that loads fast, try disabling add-ons to see which might be the culprit. If you don't have a lot of add-ons try reinstalling Firefox.

2) I don't know of such a tutorial. XP Pro and Vista Home Premium come with built-in backup software that can write to CD/DVD. XP Home does not have it built in, but you can install it. If you have any CD burning software such as Nero, Roxio, NTI, or other you could use that. Most systems come with at least some stripped down CD burner software. You should backup your data even if you don't need to use System Restore.

3) I'll take a look at the other thread.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!