The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Once more all, Byoc suggestions

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by exgi20
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1091 times

exgi20

Sorry, I know this topic happens all the time. Just need some suggestions on the direction of my build. And all advice is greatly appreciated. First I get to entertain you with a story.
I actually did my first computer build 2 weeks ago. My brother happened to visit after a 1 and a half year absence from home, and I gave it to him as a gift after it was completed. It had a 6700 cpu, 780i ftw mb from EvGA, Blu-ray, Dvd burner, 8g ram, etc. etc. I had my eye on something else, and it put a smile on my brothers face anyway. Now I'm doing another build and getting the parts now. I'm in no big rush, so I buy the parts piece by piece every 4 or 5 days. I tend to read alot about what I can expect from the components. Enough of that here is what I have so far. Forgot to add, I'm trying to build a great gaming system.

Case: Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000
Psu: SilverStone Op1000-Evolution (1000 Watt)
Dvd Burner: Sony DRU-V200S
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G9
Cpu: i7 920 ( got it for $229 at microcenter in my state.)
Fan Controller: Zalman AM-MFC 1

Here's the items I plan on getting to fill the rest of this gaming machine out.

Hard drive 1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive - 10K, 16MB, SATA-300
Hard drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM
Blu-Ray: Lite On IHES206-08 Blu-ray Disc Reader with DVD Writer Combo - 6x BD-ROM, 16X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 16X DVD-R, 6x DVD-RW, SATA
Speakers: Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System
Ram: Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048), (I want a total of 12 g's)
Dual Monitor Stand: Ergotron 33-322-200 Dual Horizontal Monitor Deskstand up to 22" LCDs - Black

The parts I'm having trouble deciding on:
Motherboard: I really like that MSI eclipse, and am leaning heavily towards that. But I have read some reommendations about Asus P6T. So picking my brain over that one.

Monitors: I'm getting 2, but they have to be able to play at full blu-ray specs. It just doesn't make sense to me to get a blu-ray drive and not make the appropriate use of it. i saw a 24 inch spectre that seemed to fit my bill. The were about $289 each.

Cpu Fan: I'm still researching it. Looked at liquid cooling, but I'm too scared to even attempt it.

Video Cards: I realize that this decision is the heart of my machine. With The MSI eclispe board, I can run either Crossfire or SlI. I'm leaning towards (2) Sapphire 4870's. I would really need some help on this choice.

I don't have a budget for this build, but I want to get as much value as I can. I might have left out some small things. But any feedback would be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

nooooooooooooooooooo dont get 2 radeons, ati has terrible problems with drivers working in crossfire. I learned the hard way :S They may be fix eventually but ive read that driver problems with crossfire is common. buying radeon cards is best if you plan to use one card, good value and good performance with a single card, but i dont think they optimize their products for crossfire, probably why the created the x2 series in which they crammed 2 of their videocards into one single card.

I would go with nvidia, maybe 2 gtx 260 core 216s

and lemme just say with the parts u already picked, your comp will be a monster for gaming, this is actually very close to build i wanted to make if i had the money ... i salute you

Posted 5 years ago

exgi20

Thanks for your advice SSSammy, it is greatly appreciated. I am going to take it. From what you say, and from what I have been reading you are echoing everything I have been reading. I am now looking at nvidia cards now, especially that 260 you mentioned.

I have changed my mind also on that Seagate Barricuda. Plenty of stories of how it just wasn't ready for release. And most people who have installed them have about a 40% chance of getting a "Lemon". So I'm going to get another Hitachi 750MB, no problems with that one I installed for my brother last month.

Still bouncing back and forth between the Asus P6T deluxe and the MSI Eclipse. But leaning still towards the MSI Eclipse.

I have a great job, but funny hours. Going to be ordering CPU fan, additional case fans, blu-ray, hard drive, speakers. And still kicking around my MB choice.

Posted 5 years ago

exgi20

Updating this build as I go, for those who might be interested. I purchased 2 hard drives, A DvD Burner, Case fan, and a card reader. As you can see, I have changed my mind on the Velociraptor and The 1.5 Tb Seagate. I opted to just get standard Hard drives, and save the money I would spend on the Velociraptor somewhere else. I also purchased another DVD Burner. My nephew's died and I gave the Sony burner to him.

So here is what I have so far now:

Case: Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000
Psu: SilverStone Op1000-Evolution (1000 Watt)
Dvd Burner: Lite ON 22X DVDRW SATA w/Lightscribe
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G9
Cpu: i7 920 ( got it for $229 at microcenter in my state.)
Fan Controller: Zalman AM-MFC 1
Hard Drive 1:WD Caviar 320GB SATA-3G HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
Hard Drive 2:HITACHI 1TB SERIAL ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
Media Reader:PowerUp All-in-One Card Reader w/USB 2.0 Port Blk
Case Fan: Aerocool Streamliner Blue 140mm Fan - 4 Blue LED ( I need 2 more).

Items I need to round out this system. (I have added some wants for this rig):

Motherboard: MSI Eclipse. (I have made up my mind about this).
Video Cards: (2)EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support
Blu-Ray: Lite On IHES206-08 Blu-ray Disc Reader with DVD Writer Combo - 6x BD-ROM, 16X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 16X DVD-R, 6x DVD-RW, SATA
Ram: Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048), (I want a total of 12 g's)
Dual Monitor Stand: Ergotron 33-322-200 Dual Horizontal Monitor Deskstand up to 22" LCDs - Black
Monitors: (2) Sceptre x24wg-Naga 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 2ms, 4000:1, 1920x1200 (WUXGA), DVI, VGA, Black
Soundcard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card. (The MSI Eclipse comes with a soundcard, but not sure it will provide the audio that I want. So I'm thinking of getting this anyway).
Cpu fan: Not a whole lot of options right now for 1366, so still looking.

I Have 2 more case fans to get. And a question for you all. Is it wise to purchase hard drive coolers?

In a few days, I'll make my main purchase of Motherboard, ram, and video cards. Any suggestions or tips as always will be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

exgi20

Ok, just an update of how this build is going. I have purchased a few more things.

MSI X58 Eclipse SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Corsair XMS 6 GB Kit (1600 mhz)
LITE-ON Black 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 6X Blu-Ray DVD ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model iHES106-29 - OEM
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail
ZALMAN ZM-CS4A Socket 1366 Clip Support Kit for CNPS9500/9700 - Retail
(2) Thermaltake 140mm TurboFans

So what I'm lacking is:

Corsair XMS 6 GB Kit (1600 mhz), I'm still going to max it out at 12GB
Monitors: (2) Sceptre x24wg-Naga 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 2ms, 4000:1, 1920x1200 (WUXGA), DVI, VGA, Black
Soundcard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI Sound Card.
Vista Home 64 bit

As you can see I'm still waffling as far as video cards. Just alot of options out there. I was leaning 4870, then 260. I'll have my mind made up by Thursday. That's when I will purchase my first video card. Any tips or comments would be appreciated.

Oh, and I'm still thinking of getting the Western Digital Velociraptor.....waffling on that also.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

exgi20,

Doesn't that MB support Raid ????

Why so few HDs ????

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!