SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

On restarting Windows 8, mouse always goes back to right-handed setting.

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Cyndi25
  • Latest reply from Cyndi25
  • Topic Viewed 751 times

Cyndi25

I have a Microsoft Wireless Mouse and keyboard combo, 5000.
I'm left-handed.
It works perfectly, but, if I reboot my computer, the mouse becomes right-handed. The only work-around is to go into the control panel, as a right-hand user, bring up the mouse settings and click on the "Change mouse settings" link.

Images 1

This brings up the Mouse Properties dialogue box. There is a link on the box that says, "Click Here to Change the Microsoft Mouse Settings"

Images 2

As soon as that settings box starts to open, and it doesn't even have to open all the way, the mouse switches back to being left-handed, I close all the boxes and every thing is fine until I reboot again.

The reason that the dialogue box doesn't have to open is that it is already set for a left-handed mouse, but for some unknown reason, unless I go and open the darn thing, it won't change over.

Images 4 and 5

It isn't a matter of waiting for the driver to load. I've waited a long time. It doesn't switch over unless I go through the procedure.

It works, but it's really clunky and a real pain to have to do every time.

I've gone all over the Internet looking for a solution but haven't found one.

I'm hoping that someone here can help.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Are you Shutting down your computer normally with the shutdown command thus saving your current settings?

Another thing I would try is to "Log Off" once the settings are set and then log back on and see if the settings are remembered.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Can the mouse be uninstalled and reinstalled after rebooting?

Posted 1 year ago

Cyndi25

I shut down normally. I just rebooted and had to go through the procedure again.

What do you mean by, "Log Off?"

If I uninstall the drivers, I get caught in a Catch-22 situation.

The mouse stops working without the drivers. I have to do a hard-reboot and wait until the OS finds the right drivers and the whole things starts off all over again.

Cyndi

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!