How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

On PC Tools

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Zeidan
  • Latest reply from JonMCC33
  • Topic Viewed 842 times

Zeidan
Zeidan

About a month ago I downloaded a starter edition of PC tools Spyware Doctor from the google pack and on its main status page it noted that Antivirus Engine: not installed. Recently I found out (here) that PC tools offers an Antivirus software for free so I downloaded and installed the software. I was wondering if there's a way to merge the two products into one.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am not sure what you mean by "merge the two products into one". If you mean to install them side by side, I would not recommend that. Two competing antivirus programs on the same system are never a good idea. Besides, I made the experience that the Spyware Doctor stuff is messy anyhow. If you are looking for a free security package, there are better options (e.g. AVG).

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

spyware doctor also has a setting you can uncheck so it won't notify you that pc tools anti virus isn't installed

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

Completely uninstall PC Tools Spyware Doctor. Don't worry about getting PC Tools AV. Download and install Avast 4.8 here: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

It has built-in anti-spyware, antivirus and anti-rootkit all for free. I'll wager it's 10X better at protecting you than anything that PC Tools can offer.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!