The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Older laptop won't boot to Live Ubuntu on usb

(9 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Baylynx
  • Latest reply from Baylynx
  • Topic Viewed 2744 times

Baylynx

I have an older laptop - Compaq 2103us. The Boot Menu doesn’t offer an option to boot from a USB drive. I tried to create a Live Ubuntu CD, but I’m getting I/O write errors on the internal cd drive and several attempts failed. I created Live Ubuntu on a usb stick drive (2gb Sandisk Cruzer) and selected Removable Devices to boot first… but no luck.

I read your instructions to Put PLoP on a Floppy Disk, but will this work with an external floppy drive? I have one, but will need to travel to another location to pick it up and am unsure it will work as BIOS may not recognize that either. I would like to try the method described in the following comment posted on May 6, 2010:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Tej

You could save all the work and just use UNetBootin. It worked perfectly on my old systems which did not have USB boot.

1. Go to windows or linux and install the OS image on the USB key using Unetbootin.
2. Shut down the system and turn it back on with the USB key plugged in.
3. Quickly jump to the BIOS by pressing the appropriate key.
4. The USB key will now be listed under Hard Drives or Removable Devices!
5. Setup the BIOS to boot from the USB key and your done.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can someone expand on Tej’s instructions and provide more details. Specifically, I don’t understand what is meant by installing “OS image on the USB key”.

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

hi aylynx, Unetbootin allows you to make a bootable USB stick with Unbuntu. It also gives you an option to emulate a hdd so your USB will boot. Here is a link that has the Unetbootin software and explains the different options you have when you are making your disk.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ Hope this helps

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

Baylynx

Thanks germ-x, but I just don't get it. I used unetbootin to create the live ubuntu usb. The problem is the BIOS on my old Presario 2103us does not allow me to boot to a usb drive. I have read the info at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and see no reference about "emulating a hdd so my usb will boot."
Thank you for your well-meaning reply, but I'm new at this and I'm afraid this is over my head and I'm not understanding how this is done. By chance... does this have anything to do with a "frugal install" ???

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Is this what you saw ?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-let-you/

Posted 4 years ago

Baylynx

To germ-x and other responders - Please understand that I'm not a geek and I have difficulty understanding certain concepts that many on this forum easily take for granted. Soooo... please dumb down your responses to a simple straighforward explanation. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Your external floppy should be a bootable device. If memory serves me right it is connected via a parallel cable to your printer port.
If so you can follow this the instructions on this link
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-let-you/
Hopefully you have downloaded Unbuntu
In your post you never said why you want / need, Unbuntu.
Go to this link and item #1 is for downloading Unbuntu Item #2 is for burning the Cd.
Read & follow the instructions, give it a try and post back with results

Posted 4 years ago

Baylynx

"Is this what you saw ?
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-let-you/"

Yes LH... that's exactly what I saw.
...........................................................................................

"Your external floppy should be a bootable device. If memory serves me right it is connected via a parallel cable to your printer port."

No germ-x, the floppy drive connects to a usb port... not a parallel port.

"Hopefully you have downloaded Unbuntu"

As I stated in my original post, I used UNetbootin to create a Live Ubuntu usb (Sandisk Cruzer 2gb flash drive), but I have been unable to verify that it works because the BIOS on my 6 yr. old laptop does not support usb devices. As I mentioned initially, my CD-rom drive has issues and several attempts to create a Live Ubuntu CD failed. I had hoped that using Live Ubuntu on a USB flash drive would provide the perfect solution... obviously NOT since I can't boot from it due to BIOS limitations.

Here are the boot options provided in Setup Mode:

Removable Devices
CD-ROM drive (TEAC... malfunctioning)
Hard Drive (Fujitsu)
Built-in LAN

I checked the HP website and it appears that there are no updates for Phoenix KAM1.59 BIOS. I want to use Ubuntu to back up data files from my old virus infected Dell 4100 PC before I retire/replace it.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Does your system boot up at all?
What O/S is installed.
Have you ever tried booting off your floppy?
If you have tried but had no success in booting off your floppy then you might be stuck with the "frugal install"
Have you tried cleaning the laser on your Cd-Rom with a Q-tip cotton swab? There might be some dust on it causing the error

Posted 4 years ago

Baylynx

A: My laptop has no problem booting from the local (C:) drive.
A: OS = Windows XP
A: Haven't tried booting from floppy. I will pick it up at my office today.
Q: How will I configure the BIOS to boot off the floppy? See boot options posted in my previous message. Floppy is not an option.
4. I will try cleaning cd-rom laser.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.