The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Old System Config Boot

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by enj
  • Latest reply from enj
  • Topic Viewed 542 times

enj

I have an old system HP XW8000 - 2004 vintage... ACPI Multiprocessor PC... still runs good, don't want to trash it...
It has a SCSI drive and two SATA drives... The SCSI drive is full and I've upgraded the SATA'a to 2x500G...
One SATA drive is configured with WIN XP and ready to boot...
I used ACRONIS to load one SATA with C: Drive from another machine and the other SATA with the D: drive...
I know these restores are good because I restored another machine to make sure...
Objective is to remove the SCSI and Boot from one SATA drive...
I have been playing with the BIOS settings and can't get machine to boot properly...tried a number of combinations...
I've literally unplugged the SCSI drive (from MB) and changed BIOS settings and still won't boot from SATA...
Is there something simple I'm missing...???
Thanks in advance...
Ed

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

This system has plenty of Documentation on the net.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/prod.....ML#Storage

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&#.....38;bih=974

Posted 1 year ago

enj

I appreciate the response; however, neither of these links provides the info i need...
the first one is hardware configuration list not BIOS or Setup... the second is your Google front page...
If i look in the HP User Manual for this machine on page 76 it provides setup information, but does not address the problem i am having...
I googled again "BOOT SATA HP XW8000" but could find nothing addressing specifics...

If there is somewhere else you might refer me to it would be appreciated...
Otherwise I apologize for taking your time...

Ed

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

enj ,

Are you trying to view the google link on your phone ?

Posted 1 year ago

enj

why would you ask...?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Because the phone links are slightly different and therefor not viewable a lot of the times.

Posted 1 year ago

enj

i'm using my desktop... win xp pro... with Chrome browser...!!!
should be ok...

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Ed, the answer has to be in the Manuals or the Bios Settings.

It could be that the machine was designed to boot from SCSI or add on TX Sata Cards.

There is no way for me to know as I've not got the machine at the work bench and can't see the Bios Setup screens.

Integrated Ultra320 SCSI hard drives (10,000 or 15,000 rpm) and Ultra ATA/100 hard drives (7200 rpm) or optional Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 rpm or 10,000 rpm)
Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI and Ultra ATA/100 controllers
Optional 4-channel Serial ATA (SATA) RAID PCI Controller (Windows only)

Posted 1 year ago

enj

Thanks for the input...

I DISABLED the MB SCSI in the BIOS...
Changed the BOOT Sequence (with SCSI disabled) to the bootable HDD, it goes through to boot but says can't find NTLDR...
out of curiosity...
I then booted with Win XP Setup disk... when selecting REPAIR it says it can't find any drives... !!!
kind of contradictory...

I then re-enabled SCSI, the drives were back accessible so I checked the directory and NTLDR is there...
Apparently after disabling MB SCSI the system does not recognize the other two drives even though they are set in the BIOS... I can see them...

Oh well...something to play with...
Thanks again for your input....
Ed

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

The restored images on the Satas are no good because you need to do a Clean install with F6 to install Chipset Driver and F5/F7 to install the proper HAL.

If the images were made on another HP XW8000 machine, then may be just changing the the Boot.ini file will work.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Make sure you can actually boot the machine into Windows XP. Disconnect all drives except the one with Windows XP. If the machine boot into Windows XP fine, shut down the computer and connect the other drive(s) and restart and see if it boots into Windows XP. If not you may have to go into BIOS setup and change Controller Order to set SATA first.

If not, you may need to repair install Windows XP using the install CD. You may need to download from HP the SATA drivers and put it in a floppy disk and use it when asked during the install if the install CD did not come with the HP machine.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

If you restored an image from another machine unless it is an exact match hardware-wise, even if it does boot you will eventually get a blue screen of death. As Rick already told you, you need to do a clean install.

Posted 1 year ago

enj

I completely ignored the need for modifications at the HAL level... :-(
However, I use ACRONIS backup and have the PLUS Pack which is supposed to let you migrate between hardware platforms...
I will disable MB SCSI and follow their directions... got nothing to loose...
I am going to give it a shot and will report back... success or failure...
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction...
Ed

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.