The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Old network driver keeps being installed after uninstall

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mgbmgb
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 849 times

mgbmgb

I have an updated network adapter driver for my system. In device manager I uninstalled my old driver and installed the new driver. But when I boot/start up my system each day it reverts back to my old network driver.

I updated to the new driver because the old device driver kept dropping my internet connection and I found an update on the Intel site that was suppose to fix that issue. Here's what I did. I went to device manager and used Windows to check for the latest driver, but it thinks that the old driver is the latest one. I downloaded the new driver. I uninstalled the old driver via device manager, and installed the new driver. I also went to the system32 folder and delete the old driver (.sys file) from that folder. While I'm running with the new driver my internet connection is fine. But when I reboot or boot each day, the old driver is used and I don't have an internet connection. I then go back to device manager, uninstall the old driver again, and scan for new hardware and Windows finds the new driver now and installs it again. But I have to do this at each boot.

I am using Windows 8 64-bit version. It keeps installing the old driver from somewhere.

Thanks for any help.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

mgbmgb, hi and welcome.

In device manage try disabling that driver, then reboot.

By disabling, windows on reboot should not load it.

Posted 1 year ago

mgbmgb

I did try that awhile back and got the same results but I will try that again. Do you know if disabling is suppose to remove the driver file from the system?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Disabling won't, but uninstalling it will.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

If Mike's suggestion above fails, try this, Instead of disabling the old drivers, choose "Update Driver Software" > "Browse my computer for driver software" > "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" > click on the "Have Disk" tab and then "Browse", point to the location of the updated driver. It should install the updated drivers and maintain them.

Note: This works for me under W7 but I I think will also work for W8. Also, if the d/l updated driver is in exe, you will need to expand it, since Windows will look for an .inf file when instructed to browse on the location.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!