The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Old laptop will not format HD to load Win98SE

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mstead
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1811 times

mstead

I needed a laptop on win98 to run a specific program that won't run on XP, so I got an old one that was had run 98 but had been upgraded. I loaded the 98 cd and rebooted from it, got the blue setup screen saying what partition do you want 98 in. I chose the active partition and it looked like it was about to reformat, then came back with an error msg that it couldn't format. Then I loaded a win98 boot disk and restarted the laptop to format or fdisk the HD. I could fdisk and make the partition active but that didn't solve the problem. So, I restarted the computer with the floppy and was going to format the disk and then repartition it, but there was no format listed on the A:. I made another floppy from a reliable source but after loading it the A drive Dir still did not show it. I then put in a floppy with only Format.com on it and did a Directory search. The A drive still showed the same dir that it had before. I then realized that no matter what I stuck in the a drive it was always coming up with the same Dir listing, without Format.com. This is a Compaq Presario 1200(old). I have gone to the bios and made sure it was going to the floppy first.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mstead,

Probably need to Fdisk and then Format HD.
Dos Versions will have to match.
MS Fdisk is up on-line at MS somewhere.
Will have to search.
Really best to Zero HD out first before using Fdisk and Format.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

I have tried a dos6.22 ver floppy and the dir listing still shows the exact listing as before with no format.com. What is Zeroing the HD, other than formating.?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mstead,
I'm missing something here.
If copied Fomat.com to the floppy, it is on the floppy.
It may have hidden attribute set.
Did you try Format C: (or) Format C: /s ??

For Reference Only if you don't have real MS Boot Disk.
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

Rick,
Yes, I did try that and it came back with "bad command". Did a dir listing and saw a listing of 19 items, when there was a floppy inserted with only format.com on it. I don't get it.

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

bootdisk.com is where I got the boot disk info.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Out of curiosity, have you tried the compatibility mode in XP for running older software?

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

Yes, unfortunatly I have.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mstead,

What O/S are you running right now to post ??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255292/en-us

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

win xp home sp3

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mstead,

Using method in post link above, try to make Win98 EBD using Win98 CD.
For 2000, substitute XP.
Post Back.
If you know how to E-mail me, you may E-mail me.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

That list of files that the link took me to, looks suspectiously like the one that the computer says it sees everytime I put a different floppy in. And notice there is no format.com in that list. The computer when I just bought it from a friend had 2000 on it and without thinking thought I was going to have to have 98 on it. I didn't think there would be this problem and I wanted to clean up the computer away. I probably could have used 2000 with the program and drivers, but oh well. I have 98 but not 2000.

I don't know how to email you.... I went to your website in your member info and clicked on your picture but it just took me to my email program and not into New Message with your email address in it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Post Deleted by raphoenix 10/20/2008 as test results ok.

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

Like I stated "it just took me to my email program and NOT into New Message with your email address in it." That is where the "TO:" is, isn't it?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Post Deleted by raphoenix 10/20/2008 as test results ok.

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

Every time the computer boots, after the Compaq logo it asks to boot from cd or HD from a black and white screen (not windows blue)even though I changed the bios to read the floppy first. If you pick HD it says no OS, if you choose cd (1)start windows setup, which tries to format with an error; 2) opens cd support to >a:prompt; 3)no cd support to >a:prompt. It runs through an opening sequence of files (with black and white screen)then to prompt. At that point a dir listing gives that list of files from that windows support window you sent me to.

I wonder if I can make a boot disk on cd and see if it reads it?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mstead,

Do you still have a floppy disk that will boot at all if Bios is set to boot from floppy ??
Do you have a Flash Memory Stick ??

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

I have the win98se.exe on floppy that I got from the bootdisk website, but it dosn't read it. It is an exe file. Does that make a difference? Is there a place that I can get the boot disk files ziped?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Do you have a Floppy drive on your XP machine ??

Posted 5 years ago

mstead

yes

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!