The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

HOW TO: Official Tutorial Request, POST HERE

(52 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by milnerw
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 11073 times

szaemon

No luck yet. Anybody else able and willing to offer help with this?

Posted 4 years ago

szaemon

Goodness! I feel so handicapped. How about a tutorial on how to begin using computers in this day? Everything I see and read which claims itself to be geared towards "Newbies" assumes the reader knows so many things which I do not. Stopping to research every few words in a paragraph leaves me lost on the total meaning of the text.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

About running programs across system boundaries: Next time you uninstall a program, use the Revo Uninstaller. Check the "advanced" option (4th option). In the second pass of Revo you will see all the other things that it takes to run the program (which is now being uninstalled). That stuff would not be on PC-B. So how would you expect it to run.
Regarding a beginner tutorial, you may start with this one: http://www.vistalessons.com/

Posted 4 years ago

szaemon

Thanks whs, I see your point. All those "other things" that it takes to run a program are only on the one computer. I guyess what I would be looking for then might be Remote Access (a new word for my vocabulary) from a computer in one room to a computer in another. Networking, File Sharing, Remote Access...are there any other words that lets one screen,mouse and keyboard affect the hard drive in another computer?

As for the link you gave me, thanks but, Firefox Detects it as an endless loop and stops processing it. I don't thnk it would be much use anyway. The link says Vista, I use Ubuntu.

I'll keep looking....

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Ya, you are right. That link is broken. Unfortunately I cannot help you a lot with Ubuntu. I am just trying to learn it myself. There is a good book I use. It's called "Ubuntu Kung Fu" by Keir Thomas, ISBN 10 1-934356-22-0 ($34.95).
As to running a PC remotely, there are a whole selection of programs available. But again, I don't know which ones would be good for Ubuntu. Here is one that the Geek describes. But if you Google "Remote desktop for Ubuntu" you will find more.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

I just found one in "Easy Language". You may enjoy this one.

Posted 4 years ago

szaemon

Hey thanks whs! I think this is a lot of what I'm looking for, though I have a feeling in I actually want to transfer files from one computer to another I'm still going to have to set up a file share. I followed the procedure for setting it up, now I just have to learn how to access it from the other computer.

I like the bathroom humour too....

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@ whs, lol. I have that as a desktop background where I´m studying!!! I love it, lol!!

Posted 4 years ago

szaemon

All Right! Thank you so very much whs! That works like a charm. But, I was right about transfering files though. I still have to find out.how to do that.

Posted 4 years ago

szaemon

Well I got that remote desktop up and running, but still no luck in establishing any kind of Network or file sharing between the two. I see all kinds of programs giving me all kinds of information to use for networking, I just can't yet figure out what to do with the information. It's like a blind man looking for a needle in a haystack, but he doesn't even know what a needle actually is. Tell me I'm wrong, but I think this deffinately needs a "How To".

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Remind me again. What operating systems are installed on the two systems? Vista, Ubuntu, XP ???

Posted 4 years ago

szaemon

Eureka! I got it! The 2 systems are Ubuntu. I went through a couple help sites with this query and someone in the Ubuntu forums clued me in to a program called openssh and other gave me advice on how to use it. Many people were talking about a program called samba, saying it was easy to setup and configure, Well. I guess how easy something is or isn't depends on one's own experience. Samba was not easy for me to work with. But openssh was very simple. I said if I ever got this figured out I would write the How To for it. I don't know that it will be needed by anyone or even adopted by this site but here it is:

How To Set Up a Home Network on Ubuntu 9.04 Through Your Router Using Openssh-Server and Openssh-Client:

This is just the most basic requirements for establishing and using a Home Network Connection, giving all computers equal access to each other. If you need security within your own household this How To does not cover it. If anyone else wants to improve on this How To with correction of any mistakes they find, with more detail or by widening the scope, please feel free to do so. I only ask that you do not lessen the detail in it. I am both ignorant of computers and slightly scared of using them. This is the kind of detailed How To I would like to find when I go searching for a means of doing anything with my systems. I wrote this for the benefit of any other eternal noobs like myself out there.

Chose any one machine to start with and repeat these steps on all machines.

1) Male sure that all Machines are connected to the router and have properly functioning Internet Access.
2) Navigate to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and click to start it.
3) In the Quick Search Box type in openssh. Look through the list below the to find and download BOTH openssh-server and openssh-client.
4) When they have finished installing close Synaptic.

You need just 2 pieces of information now. You need the user name of the account you will be logging into on the other computer and that computers I.P. Address. The user name is the what you log on with when you are sitting at that computer. The I.P. Address of that computer can be found by going to that computer's desktop and using the Network Manager. Network Manager is the double computer icon at the top of the screen, just right of the center.
.........1) Right click on Network Manager
.........2) Open Connection Information and there is your I.P. Address around the middle of the page.

Now to continue...
5) Navigate to Places>Connect to Server... click to open
6) In the box that pops up you must chose the Server Type. In that drop down box chose ssh.
7) The next box you need to worry about is labeled Server: Here you type the user name, the "@" mark and the I.P. Address of the computer you will be logging into. It will look something like this: John@194.286.1.65. That's all you need. The other boxes are options, if you know the information and you want to make use of it fine. If not, don't worry about them. Adding a bookmar is useful but not necessary.
8) Click connect. If the user account on the other computer you are trying to access has a pass word, you will be prompted to enter password.

Now you're in and you have complete access to that other computer. Enjpy.

Posted 4 years ago

urchin

Request for tutorial on Windows XP Registry, what is it for? how can it be used? and how to use registry editor .

Posted 4 years ago

Modgod

REQ: I would like to request a tutorial showing how to install a Virtual Machine with the VM running Dos and Win XP.

I would like to install Dos to play older games and I would like to install XP so I can test software that may be infected with a virus or malware.
If I understand correctly, if I install an infected program in a VM, when I close the VM it all just goes away.

Thanks
mod

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Maybe this thread helps. And do not get confused by the Windows7 title. You can, of course, install any operating system the same way.

Posted 4 years ago

Geo

I am using Windows Vista, and have been struggling to figure how routers work. I have found this great tutorial, but he doesn't talk about one last i am interested in. Port forwarding. No i am not quite sure what exactly it does or how it helps but that's why i would like a tutorial about it!

So I would love a quick tutorial on port forwarding. Currently i have a Linksys router, and was wondering how exactly it's done and what the advantages are of using it.

Thanks guys!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Geo,
---
Here you go for Linksys Routers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWPUdW1kIJA
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

davidoe

I am having trouble with vmware and cant find the solution anywhere i look. The thing is that i have windows 7 pro(Host) and installed vmware with Ubuntu 9.10(Virtual machine) and i have set up a site on the Ubuntu install and i can access it from the host system but i can't seem to find a way to access the site remotely from the internet. It just wont show up when i type its address in firefox from enywhere except the host machine. If some one knows how that is done and would be willing to share that information i would be thrilled.

Thx
David

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

David, you will have more success if you create a new topic for your question :-)

I'd guess you need to forward some ports through your firewalls (Ubuntu, Router & maybe even Win7?) Also, many ISPs BLOCK the ports required to host a website. Best call them to verify.

Posted 4 years ago

sheshadriji

Hi,
Am a regular user of windows .operating system. Am interested in linux os. i loaded LinuxMint 5 as suggestion for beginners. but am unable to understand how to use it and download the needed softwares/browsers just like i do in window's xp . but by now mint 5 has come out with mint 8 version . any step by step tutorials for mint 5 users . pl help .
also tutorial for windows xp ,as am new to computers ! .
Can both os be opened and operated simultaneosly instead of exiting and opening linux seperately . pl guide me sir
regards, sheshadri

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!