The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

HOW TO: Official Tutorial Request, POST HERE

(52 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by milnerw
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 11073 times

milnerw

Please use this thread, and this thread only to request a tutorial. This will help us keep our tutorial section clean and uncluttered. Just reply to this post with all of your information pertaining to the tutorial you would like to see.

Example info:
Operating System - Only if you are asking for something OS specific (i.e. Vista, XP, 98SE)
Name of the program you are asking for - Plus download location if it is not a popular program
What you are looking for in the tutorial
Any other info you think might help us help you

Example request:
I am using Windows Vista. I would like to know how to split a video into multiple sections using Windows Movie Maker

Posted 5 years ago

cas34

Feel free to delete this. I am not sure if you are intending on collecting a database of tutorials. If so I think doing a tutorial on how to tweak Vista would be a good one. Just a suggestion, so feel free to do what you wish :)

Posted 5 years ago

ian2

I do not have Vista and I am trying to help my father change his screensaver to the windows digital clock ,the one that bounces around the screen..We are in different cities and trying to tell him how to do it over the phone is not working...He is not good with computers and needs something visual.
It would be great if someone could make a quick video showing all the steps so that I can just send him a link to here.

Hope someone can help .

Thankyou very much.......

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Right click on Desktop,

click on Screen Saver

click on 3D from the dropdown menu

Choose 'Time' and any other relevant personal setting and click OK, OK when you're done

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

#1 is 'right click on Desktop and choose Personalization'

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Ian, there is also the option to have a video (any video) as screensaver. See this for details. It does, however, require a graphics capability of Nvidea 6150SE or higher. Nvidea 6150LE or ATI 3100 does not work.

Posted 5 years ago

ian2

scott, thanks he will be good to go now

Whs, thankyou, however he just wants his clock back..

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

This is a very basic request, if the information is already here please point me in the right direction. I would like to know how to make to computers connect through a router. I have never done any kind of networking before and I'm not sure exactly what information I need or where to find it in my computer.

I have 2 computers running Ubuntu 9.04, a router: RT-200NE, and an ADSL Modem: GE-PON <M>A GE-PON-ONU<1><2>. Both of my computers have LAN cables connected to the router. And they both connect to the internet. This should be a very simple task, I just don't know where to start. The information I keep finding seems to be explaining more advanced aspects of networking or how to trouble shoot, assume people already know the basics.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Your router should have come with a wizard to set it up. But if you have both systems connected with an ethernet cable, it may work without much setup , because it will work like a switch (which you could have gotten instead for $20). Just connect the router to the modem and see what happens.

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

Thank You whs.

They are both connected to the router and independently access the internet. They have been running separately for quite some time now(a few years). I have been thinking about learning how to network them together since I got them, but procrastination in mt demon....

Ill look for the router installation disk and see if that has the instruction... in English.

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

I checked for the installation disk and unfortunately, I don't seem to have it. Yet I'm not sure it would have helped me much, as I recall it was all in Japanese.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Hmm, that is tough. I looked on the web and there is really very little for your router in English. I have 2 excellent tutorials on how to set up a router, but those are in German. I suppose they don't help you either.
But from what you say it sounds like you are using the router as a switch already. And the "networking" part you are talking about is really wanting to share files from one system to the other. If that is the case, that may be possible without going into any router details.

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

Thanks! That sounds promising. Both computers are connected to the same router, so it seems to me they should be able to access eachother through it just like they access the Web. I basically want each computer to be able to access each others hard drive as if it were there own. ie. Programs and files completely accessible to each other.

Is that an uncommon function? Or difficult to set up?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

szaemon,
Seek Help Under [ File Sharing AND Printer Sharing ] Subjects.
http://www.google.com/search?h.....outer+file
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Here are another few tutorials that might help

http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....vista.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....n-off.html

But programs is another matter. You cannot run a program that is installed on PC-A from PC-B. At least I would not know how to do that. There is a lot more to a program installation than just the program file (register, etc.).

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

Thanks Rick,

I'll check it out now.

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

Thanks whs,

I'm still searching through the material. Honestly I was under the impression that this was rather simple to do these days. So far this seems to pretty complicated and made more so by all the computer jargon. Does any explain this stuff in basic English? As far as I know, a server brings me coffee and client pays me for work....

Posted 5 years ago

whs

LOL - this is basic English. Try the same in German or French (like I sometimes have to do). But most trades have their specialized language - I am sure that is the same in your trade too. After all, a computer is not an appliance. Given time, you will get used to it.

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

Well, now that I think of it. I guess it wasn't such a basic question after all. If I ever figure out how to do it< I'll write the "How To" for it.

Posted 5 years ago

szaemon

I just caught what you said whs.

"But programs is another matter. You cannot run a program that is installed on PC-A from PC-B. At least I would not know how to do that. There is a lot more to a program installation than just the program file (register, etc.). "

So even if I do figure out how to share the files between each computer, they couldn't run each each others programs? ... Bummer!... Is that an impossible feat or just a really inefficient thing to do?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.