The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Office Tools start slow under MS Windows Explorer

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by GeorgeMcGinn
  • Latest reply from GeorgeMcGinn
  • Topic Viewed 1746 times

GeorgeMcGinn

I'm running XP SP2 and Office 2000 and use Kaspersky 7.0 and LavaSoft AdWare. Lately the MS Office products became slow when started from Windows Explorer (6.0) even when I'm off the net. The delay is perhaps 15 to 20 seconds for the tool (Word, Excell, Access) and another 10 to 20 seconds for the document. I have Desktop shortcuts to the tools and they load as expected, sub sec for the tool and perhaps a sec for the doc.

I've built my own hardware / software systems since the early 80's (started on a highly modified PCJr). Current system should rip: ASUS P5K-VM MB, WD Raptor drive, 2 Gigs, etc). I always run with MS updates off. It seems like Windows Explorer is looking for something or waiting for a delay timeout. That the direct shortcuts pop in a second supports this point of view. I just don't see where to look for a MS Explorer issue. A full rebuild takes me about a day. I usually do that only every other year to clean out the MS crap.

Still waiting for a good Linex OS to come along to say good by to Bill. I worked for IBM when just a little push would have had some other arrogant SOB become the richest individual. Boy did the Execs at IBM drop the ball on that one - "The PC will never amount to more the 1% of our bottom line so let some Geek do the work."

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Maybe Process Explorer can shed some light on what is happening during those delays.
PS: I worked for IBM during 35 years and do not disagree with your last statememnt - although I would have worded it a little differently.

Posted 5 years ago

GeorgeMcGinn

Thanks WHS - I did pass my tech German Comprehensive test, for my PhD in Physicssome 40+ years ago, but it would take me a few days to translate the link and then I would most likely mess it up! Do you have an English language link?

I spent some years in the IBM internal EDS support group for system hardware designers (Design Verification and Test pattern unit in Endicott). This was after leaving a low paying tenure position in the SUNY system. When you have a family $$ do count.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Here is an english link to Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....96653.aspx
It's an enhanced Task Manager for checking out process information.
For this problem though I would recommend checking out Process Monitor at http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....96645.aspx
It logs all the thread, registry and file activatiy that programs do.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@GeorgeMcGinn, sorry I linked a German website of MS. Google always does that to me because I am currently in Germany. Thanks jd for fixing it.
PS: I worked in Endicott in 1964 to 66 at the Glendale Lab for /360 programming. I lived down the street from Suny in Vestal on the parkway. That's really a long time ago. Had a look at Endicott a few years ago - looked really sad with everybody gone.

Posted 5 years ago

GeorgeMcGinn

Thanks for the info! I will be away for a few days so it will be a while before I can download and try Process Explorer.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.