How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Office 2013 retail licensing change ties suite to specific PC forever

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 821 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

'If your computer dies, so does your Office license,' says licensing guru; move seen as prod to adopt
subscription-based Office 365

Full Story:
http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2013-02-15

Poster Comment:

No use purchasing Office 2013 Software, better plan on using something else unless one has deep pockets..
MS Office 2010 is still available, better get it while it last.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I will use my Office 2007 as long as I can. After that would definitly look to alternative software.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Am not sure MS wants any customers anymore ??

First they release Windows 8 O/S tied to a EFI Bios which some think is a fiasco; Then they drive off remaining customers who would normally use their Office Software.

MS Marketing must be smokin' something is all I can say.

Posted 1 year ago

Scott
Scott

LadyFitzgerald

They must be smoking some pretty bad stuff. I'm so glad I've got my copies of Win 7 and a copy of Office 2010 family pack. I was happy with Office 2007 but upgraded to 2010 recently since it won't hit its EOL until after Win 7 does (2007 "dies" in 2017). If M$ doesn't wake up and clean up its act by 2020, they will lose me. Even Apple is starting to look better (can you say Hackintosh?).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Scott's additional links do clarify the situation !!

MS is trying to emulate a strategy of being a Renta Center or Rent-a-Car business model.

My take on this is that MS just went "coffin shopping" as other vendors will quickly take their place in this global economy of the have and have-nots.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Personally, I'd pirate it before I'd pay for it twice. Or just switch to one of the free alternatives. M$ are losing the plot.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I dumped Office a while ago. It was just a matter of time before Microsoft pulled its games with Office as well. been using Open Office and now Libre Office. Does the same things and the price is right ($0). I even use it for docs for my employer and have had no problems with compatibility with their office 2007.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

That's good to know. Like I said above I still have Office 2007. But there will be those myself included that will be looking for alternative software. Everyone does not know about not being able to transfer your license yet.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If something should happen to your hard drive, then just clean install Office 2007 again and activate it normally.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

For me yes, had to do that when I changed hard drives on a Vista machine. Thing is the key on the software would not work had to call MS to get it activated. Is that same scenario going to work if you were foolish enough to buy the 2013 Office one machine for life software.

Edit; should have an image to fall back on:)

Final thought here. I guess if you decided to sell your machine with Office 2013 on it you should bump the price, since you cannot use it again for yourself.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It's all about Big Business (MS) and their Revenue Stream and not about Customers.

I've had it with Windows 8 and Office 2013 but I'm old so what I think doesn't matter any more.

Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't make the pig look any prettier and that's for sure. (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

People will get smart eventually. Either that or the drain on their wallet will convince them to go open source. Or maybe the idea of being told how, when , what and why they can do with the things they shoved out good $$ for will finally be the last straw. I reached that point a few years back. You pay for an OS from Microsoft then have to pay again to upgrade when the next version comes out. If you are curious and read the licensing agreement you will discover that you don't even own that copy of windows that you believe you "purchased", but rather have paid top dollar for the right to use it. It is still legally and technically Microsoft property.

Now they are doing it with office. Secure Boot is another debacle! let me not get started!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Age is just a number Rick!

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I don't know. This pig is pretty:

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Everyone likes Miss Piggy

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!